X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brianvan
    • Mar 2003

I screwed up Windows Media Player

Trying to keep a long story short -

I was having a codec problem. Xvid movies were getting severely screwed up. So, I deleted all the xvid/divx codecs I had (from multiple codec packs), and installed Tsunami 3.9.9. Through the process, Windows XP prompted me for my install CD (file protection service), and I clicked through it.

Bah.

So now all my movies work fine in Winamp. But now WMP can't play ANYTHING. When I open an avi file, it just says "Connecting" in the status bar at the bottom and gets stuck there. So it's completely unusable now.

I downloaded the install file for WMP 9 (which is what I had at the time this all happened). Reinstalling was no luck, but I still have the file to do it if necessary. I can't find a way to uninstall it automatically. The only thing that WAS uninstalled was the codecs (Codec Sniper), I didn't touch anything else.

Please help!
  • zbrister
    • Mar 2003

im having the same problem with my windows and my divx player has no sound windows media always shuts down when i try to play or open a file except for the one movie file i already had before all the problems started first of all i was have problems with sound from windows media so i installed nimo codec packs, but thats when windows media started shuting down so i uninstalled it and it worked agian with no sound so i installed tsunami codecand problem continued havent found a solution yeet but if i do ill let you know

Comment

• brianvan
      • Mar 2003

fixed my own problem...

I did a system restore back to last Thursday (gotta love bloated XP system utils).

Then, I removed all codec-related crap that I already had, using uninstall utils that came with them. I set a system restore point at that time, THEN installed Tsunami 3.9.9 again - NOTE, the only option I changed on the default install was to INCLUDE the AC3 filter decoder cause I need it - and I tested my problematic Xvid movies in WMP 8.0 (note that 9.0 was offered for install on Friday, so I reverted back to a safe version and didn't go rushing to put it back) and they worked fine.

I set another system restore point just in case I make a choice in the next week to screw up something else. (I have to reinstall my sound card drivers because I'm completely wasting both my speakers and my sound card by going with the default SBLive driver in XP)

I should note at this point that my IE is running a bit slow, but this could be due to the fact that I've been running WinMX for the past 90 days on a cable ISP that throttles back problematic users. Still better than nothin.
      Last edited by brianvan; 31 Mar 2003, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Working...