X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ciricon SRS
    • Apr 2003

XP Woes

Hi folks.

I re-did a friend's machine and instead of Windows ME, I put in XP which has worked much better than everything was before.

Now, I had installed the various Divx codecs including XVid before I did Windows Update which Probably wasn't the greatest to do.

So, the machine was updated with Service Pack One and even some Pre SP2 stuff.

Now, the movies will play sound but the video won't update. By update I mean if Windows media player (6.4) was loading and was still showing it's usual square window while loading, when it did finally expand to the size of the movie, whatever section of the screen that was there before will not update, so in some cases I still have some of the icons and desktop showing in the player window.

I do know DirectX 9 was included in the update process, and am wondering if this has issues with Divx or things in general, ie; more bugs than fixes.

I'm at a loss what to do, and I know I could go and re-do everything but that would seem kinda pintless unless Windows Update royally screwed up the computer. Everything was working fine pre update, so I'm just wanting advise.

:/

Thanks.
  • Toast B|M
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2003

Re: XP Woes

Originally posted by Ciricon SRS
    Hi folks.

I re-did a friend's machine and instead of Windows ME, I put in XP which has worked much better than everything was before.

Now, I had installed the various Divx codecs including XVid before I did Windows Update which Probably wasn't the greatest to do.

So, the machine was updated with Service Pack One and even some Pre SP2 stuff.

Now, the movies will play sound but the video won't update. By update I mean if Windows media player (6.4) was loading and was still showing it's usual square window while loading, when it did finally expand to the size of the movie, whatever section of the screen that was there before will not update, so in some cases I still have some of the icons and desktop showing in the player window.

I do know DirectX 9 was included in the update process, and am wondering if this has issues with Divx or things in general, ie; more bugs than fixes.

I'm at a loss what to do, and I know I could go and re-do everything but that would seem kinda pintless unless Windows Update royally screwed up the computer. Everything was working fine pre update, so I'm just wanting advise.

:/

Thanks.
    1. Xvid is not a divx codec, its similar but u cant classify them as one.
    2. No windows update has nothing to do with MPEG-4 codecs on your co mputer.
    3. Direct X has nothing to do with video codecs, i dont have enough time to explain WHY and HOW, do a google search on that and you will find out!
    4. From your statement it sound like its more like a video card OR media player problem rather than a video codec, the screen is just not refreshing the way it should, try updating the driver database, either the new dets or cat's which ever ur video card uses, if that doesnt solve the problem and you are abs sure its the codecs, remove em and intall ffdshow and try playing them again,it should work fine. One other suggestion would be to try a diff player like bsplayer.
    5. I feel sorry for your friend not because he doesnt know how to re-install windows n stuff but because he had someone like you to do the job.

PEACE!!
    Last edited by Toast B|M; 6 Apr 2003, 04:43 PM.
    www.megamodels.biz | OC Crusaders

Comment

• Ciricon SRS
      • Apr 2003

Hmmmm

I'll ignore your #5 comment above, and go with the assumption that video drivers have been messed with.

I'll look into it further, I'll have to visit HP's website to find any XP patches etc., that they have issued.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Working...