Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GummyB
    • Apr 2003

MPEG Bitrate for Best Quality

I am ripping to MPEG2 file only (not for VCD/SVCD/DVD), and am wordering what's the bitrate will give the best quality without taking up too much space. The SVCD setting in DVDx says 2376Kbits/s. Will increasing this setting give me a better picture? Also, is there a better (higher quality) program than DVDx to convert from VOB to MPEG?

Thanks!
  • Mark Madness
    • May 2002

Theoretically yes if you increase the bit rate the quality will improve. However, since you are not planning to burn your file to cd, why don't you use avi instead of MPEG? With the DivX codec you can get twice the quality at half the space of an MPEG.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

DVD2VCD used in conjunction with TMPGenc, CCE or other select mpeg-1/2 encoder produces good results and is sufficently easy to use. Guides at doom9.org

If you desire the "best" quality do not perform any compression and keep the original bitrate/resolution and other properties of your original file(s) intact.

If you are unconcerned about "standalone" dvd/divx player compatability I would also recommend an mpeg-4 codec as it offers higher compression. My choice of codec for mpeg-4 would be xvid.
      Last edited by Batman; 1 May 2003, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• GummyB
        • Apr 2003

What's an easy to use VOB to AVI program?

I'll give AVI a try. Is there a VOB to AVI program that you can recommend? Since I don't plan to burn them to DVD or CD, ease of use and video quality are my priorities. I don't really care about separating video from audio or other stuff like that.

Thanks!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

" What's an easy to use VOB to AVI program?"

MPEGMediator...

Comment

Working...