Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tibble
    • May 2003

Just getting started

This message goes out to anyone that can help me in my journey in this world on encoding /ripping DVD's ETC.

I have some old VHS tapes(excellent quality) that I want to Convert and keep stored on my Harddrive for Future burning to DVD. I have plenty of HD space and I want to spare no expence at the quality of the encoding (even though Its VHS)
    (MY QUESTION/problem) IS THIS:

1. What program would you recommend for me to Convert a Streaming video from (VCR thru my Camcorder and from my cam corder firewire to my computer) . I have a Very nice sony camcorder (TRV38) that takes DVD quality videos /but the software that comes with it isnt that great (Only lets me save files as MPG's and its marginal)

2. What format would you recommend me saving my movies for future DVD burning(Ill be keeping this on my HD till I can get a DVDburner) I hear so much about so many different formats i.e.
    AVI,MPEG1-4,MOV,Mpegavi2,QT,VCD ETC?

(I want to encode it with the best quality I can *im not worried about HD space* and I know for myself I dont like VCD and I hear that MPEG1 isnt all that great either)

any help would be greatly Appreciated!!

Thanks alot!
    Tibble
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Re: Just getting started

Originally posted by Tibble
    This message goes out to anyone that can help me in my journey in this world on encoding /ripping DVD's ETC.

I have some old VHS tapes(excellent quality) that I want to Convert and keep stored on my Harddrive for Future burning to DVD. I have plenty of HD space and I want to spare no expence at the quality of the encoding (even though Its VHS)
    (MY QUESTION/problem) IS THIS:

1. What program would you recommend for me to Convert a Streaming video from (VCR thru my Camcorder and from my cam corder firewire to my computer) . I have a Very nice sony camcorder (TRV38) that takes DVD quality videos /but the software that comes with it isnt that great (Only lets me save files as MPG's and its marginal)

2. What format would you recommend me saving my movies for future DVD burning(Ill be keeping this on my HD till I can get a DVDburner) I hear so much about so many different formats i.e.
    AVI,MPEG1-4,MOV,Mpegavi2,QT,VCD ETC?

(I want to encode it with the best quality I can *im not worried about HD space* and I know for myself I dont like VCD and I hear that MPEG1 isnt all that great either)

any help would be greatly Appreciated!!

Thanks alot!
    Tibble
    VCD is MPEG-1
    Try using VirtualDub for capturing
    I would save as a MPEG-2 format if you are going to burn it to a DVD or a lossless codec with a AVI container

Comment

• Qyd
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Oct 2002

Start with these:
      Glossary: http://www.divx-digest.com/glossary.html
      Articles: http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/index_english.html

Comment

• Tibble
        • May 2003

Give it a try

Thank you for your fast responce!

Ill definately give Virtualdub a try and Ill let you know how the results go.

Tibbs

Comment

Working...