Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SOM
    • Aug 2002

Splitting an AVI file

What is the best program to split an avi file into the video file and the audio file. I want to capture movies from my mini dv camera and then convert the audio tracks to digital tracks using Sonic Foundry Soft Encode. I then want to re-join the new audio file with the video file. The problem is Soft Encode only allows .wav files to be inputted. I need to some how get the audio file out of the .avi file that is captured from my camera.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

SOM
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

(Just so you know, you're using the wrong terminology. "Splitting" an .AVI file has to do with cutting the entire file at a point in the timeline. Your question, in fact, is one regarding "demultiplexing" - extracting audio and/or video as separate streams)

1) Load the file into VirtualDub (or one of its variants, which include NanDub,and VirtualDubMod)

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as .WAV" - and save your audiostream with a new filename

3) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy" and fom the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "No audio" - and save your now-SILENT .AVI with a new filename

Comment

Working...