Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WhiteyMcWhite
    • Jan 2002

Is there hope for me?

Alright, here's the deal. I basically have a peice of shit computer. I'm not sure what the exact speed is, but I assure you it was considered good 4 years ago and at no point after that. Anyways, whenever I watch .avi files, it goes way to slow and I have to turn the quality of everything as low as possible to even try watching a movie. I recently downloaded a 600MB anime movie where it's harder trying to watch it than anything I ever watched before. A weird thing happened though. When I was watching an episode of evangelion that I downloaded, I noticed that under the advanced properties, there was a "filter." I could tell it was helping the video run better than it would without it. ALOT better it seemed. So then I decided to drag the movie in there and see what happened, sure enough everything was running smoothly. After a very short while though, the sound and picture went terribly out of sync. I tried installing/uninstalling different codecs and filters and stuff to make it work better, but when I went back to play it again, the filter was no longer there for any of my avi files. Right now I basically have the playa installed on my computer, although I prefer to watch the videos with windows media. So I tried installing a whole bunch of filter things, but I can't seem to get them associated with the avi files. It's killing me that I had it and then somehow screwed it up.

So overall, what I'm asking is-
    How do I associate a filter with all my avi files to make them run better?

What filter should I use?

And after that, if everything keeps going out of sync, what should I do to fix it?

I know that's probably alot to ask, but please help me out.
    Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Play the video in Windows Media Player. Right click in the middle of the screen and select "Properties". Then click on "Advanced" and you'll probably see "DivX MPEG4 Video Decompressor". Doubleclick on it. Move the "CPU" slider. Click on "Apply". This will change the video performance but, unfortunately, will result in an out-of-synch performance.

Comment

• abdul
      • Jan 2002

I might have found something for you that is worth trying.

The Radlight player
      The minimum requirement are very interesting:
      CPU: P233MMX
      RAM:16MB RAM
      Video: PCI 4MB CARD
      Audio: SB-Comp.
      DirectX: 6.1 and higher

can't hurt to try.

Comment

• WhiteyMcWhite
        • Jan 2002

That RadLight didn't work very well. All I really want is a filter like the one I had before that made everything run so nicely. When I looked under the properties it said something simple like "DivX filter" or something like that.

Comment

Working...