Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DRP
    • May 2003

Major XviD playing problems

Let me start by saying that I've already searched these forums extensively, I've read every single FAQ on the planet pertaining to this and I've already tried every suggestion I could find for fixing XviD playing problems.

I've downloaded this video encoded in XviD and no matter what I do it will not play in WMP 6.4

I have installed the XviD codec (two versions of it in fact). GSpot & AVIcodec both report it as being installed and working. I have even uninstalled DivX Pro 5.0.5 after reading about some conflict problems.

I have repaired the video file using DivFix which reported no errors. I have downloaded the sample XviD file from xvidmovies.com and tried to play that.

I have re-booted the whole computer 50 million times and cleaned the registry with Regclean, Regcleaner & Norton Utilities 2002. There are absolutely no other pre-existing problems on the computer at all.

Everytime I try to play an XviD movie, I immediately get the "No combination of filters could be found to render the stream." message from WMP 6.4.

This is crap. What's going on? Computer is Duron 800Mhz with 384Mb RAM & W98SE. What the hell was wrong with DivX anyway? XviD sucks.
  • chickeneater
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2002

you don't need to cross post. It is against the forum rules.
    FFDShow filters
    Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I have installed the XviD codec (two versions of it in fact).
      Keep to using one version of the XviD codec only. Having two different versions installed under the same system is guaranteed to invite trouble. I personally recommend you use Koepi's Unstable release. That, or FFDShow (remember to configure it to play XviD contents).

Another possibility is that the file is incomplete. Apart from rebuilding the index using DivFix (which does not seem to have solved the problem for you), try the following:
      1. Open file in Virtual/nandub
      2. Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy
      3. Go to File -> Save as AVI... and give a name to the new file

Yet, it is also possible that the file is fake. Doing the following will provide us with the information needed to determine the validity of the file:
      1. Load up the AVI file into GSpot and post a screenshot of the information displayed here.

Alternatively:
      1. Open the file in Virtualdub
      2. Go to File -> File Information
      3. Post what information you see here

What the hell was wrong with DivX anyway? XviD sucks
      Just because you are having problems playing ONE particular file does not give you the right to so wrongly judge the codec. I personally use and like XviD. My subjective opinion is that it provides better quality than DivX, while at the same time possessing the configurability (power) and freedom from spywares (think DivX) that many other video enthusiasts yearn for.

Comment

• DRP
        • May 2003

Originally posted by Enchanter
        [B]Keep to using one version of the XviD codec only. Having two different versions installed under the same system is guaranteed to invite trouble. I personally recommend you use Koepi's Unstable release. That, or FFDShow (remember to configure it to play XviD contents).
        Okay. I uninstalled *all* the XviD codecs *and* all the DivX codecs - I read someone else suggesting that DivX can cause a conflict with XviD so to try that as well, which I have, and that didn't work either. I have D/L'd the XviD codec you suggest (filename: XviD-14052003.exe). It still doesn't work.

Another possibility is that the file is incomplete. Apart from rebuilding the index using DivFix (which does not seem to have solved the problem for you), try the following:
        1. Open file in Virtual/nandub
        2. Set both Video and Audio tabs to Direct Stream Copy
        3. Go to File -> Save as AVI... and give a name to the new file
        The file I'm trying is the test sample from xvidmovies.com and the filesize matches what they say it should be. Did what you suggest above with both v1.5.1 *and* v1.3c of VirtualDub - no go. Result still doesn't play in WMP 6.4

Yet, it is also possible that the file is fake. Doing the following will provide us with the information needed to determine the validity of the file:
        1. Load up the AVI file into GSpot and post a screenshot of the information displayed here.
        Just because you are having problems playing ONE particular file
        TWO files actually. The one I want to view and the test sample from xvidmovies.com. In fact as I type this I now notice that all this messing around trying to get XviD files to play has now done something nasty to my WMP installation because it won't play *anything* at all now. Great! Just what I wanted. I can quickly see XviD causing me to have to re-install Windows.

DRP
        Attached Files

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Try FFDShow as the decoder (instead of the XviD codec) and BSPlayer (or other non-Microsoft players).

Comment

• DRP
            • May 2003

Try FFDShow as the decoder (instead of the XviD codec) and BSPlayer (or other non-Microsoft players).
            I've tried FFDShow already and it made no difference. Have just installed BSPlayer. Reports "Unknown file format (XVID)" in warning dialog when trying to load an XviD video.

Comment

• kingww
              • Jun 2003

Divxfix for xvid???

I thought divxfix couldnt fix xvid files... only divx... you know, the fourcc is different..

Comment

• DRP
                • May 2003

Okay, I'm back. Since I was last here I've updated my BIOS, formatted the HDD, upgraded to W2K Pro and reinstalled all my software again.

I have the bog standard WMP 6.4.09.1109 issue that came with my copy of W2K Pro. The *only* codecs I've installed other than those that came bundled with and were installed without my choice by Windows are DivX Pro v5.0.5 and the XviD codec XviD-14052003-1 unstable binary http://www.roeder.goe.net/cgi-bin/fe...14052003-1.exe by Koepi.

WMP now works again as it should. I can view DivX movies no problem at all. Even XviD works now as well - well sort of.

The XviD playback image is distorted and very badly affected with green bands and is completely unwatchable. I can however see that there is an image there and it does play. It is seekable and I can move around in it no problem. *Something* is working, but how do I get rid of the green bands and apparent interference?

I can post a screenshot of exactly what it looks like if that'll help.

Before I wreck my brand new Windows installation by installing 10 thousand more random codecs willy nilly trying to chase this problem, will someone with W2K & WMP please tell me how you got it to play XviD videos?

Please don't suggest installing different players to WMP like BSplayer. I'm not interested in using players that much around with the standard GUI look like everything other than WMP 6.4 does. It *must* be possible to play XviD videos with WMP 6.4.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who can get WMP 6.4 to play XviD videos.

Cheers,

DRP

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Try upgrading to DirectX 9.0a and the latest graphic card driver.

As a note, I used Windows 2000 SP2 (upgraded to SP3 when it was released) back in 2002. I had no problems playing the few XviD videos I downloaded using WMP 6.4.
                  Last edited by Enchanter; 4 Jun 2003, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• DRP
                    • May 2003

Try upgrading to DirectX 9.0a and the latest graphic card driver.

As a note, I used Windows 2000 SP2 (upgraded to SP3 when it was released) back in 2002. I had no problems playing the few XviD videos I downloaded using WMP 6.4.

Yay!!!!!! I upgraded the video driver as you suggested and guess what? Now it works like a jet!!!

Just perfect. Thanks very much. I had only installed the old W9x drivers which were on the floppy disk it came with. With the new W2K drivers from the website - everything is now much better.

Cheers

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Glad to see things are working out for you.

Enjoy your XviD-encoded movies!

Comment

Working...