Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rizanur
    • Jan 2002

Easier way of joining MPEG files?

I am surprised that the very simple and easy way of joining MPEG fies by doing a binary copy command is not mentioned anywhere in the site. I've been doing this method for years with no problem. I simply open a DOS box (command prompt) or create a batch file and run any of the below commands:

copy /b file(1).mpg+file(2).mpg+file(n).mpg file-total.mpg

copy /b file??.mpg file-total.mpg [place more ? as appropriate]

copy /b copy /b *.mpg file-total.mpg [copies all into one file]

Any comments?

Riza
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I am surprised that the very simple and easy way of joining MPEG fies by doing a binary copy command is not mentioned anywhere in the site."

Probably because no one has posted the question, "How do you join MPEG files?"...

Comment

• rizanur
      • Jan 2002

It is not asked probably, but it IS covered on the site extensively. Hence my surprise of not being "mentioned on the site." Maybe the webmaster cares to include that simple but effective method to the site as well. I've learned a lot from the site and wanted to give something back. That's all.

Riza

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I've learned a lot from the site and wanted to give something back. That's all. "

I'm sure all who post here would agree that this is appreciated.

Comment

• darthmal
          • Dec 2001

This site is dedicated to the more elaborate utilities that people use/write. Also, it is for people to bring up ideas & trade questions. That doesn't mean they need to be flamed for it, so grow up.

90% (Time Magazine) of all computer users in the word haven't a clue to it's capabilities let alone know how to use them, and most people wouldn't know a file copy from a file cancatination, because they never used Unix.

I think it's pretty cool that someone thought of a simple technique to combine binary files. Everyone is so rapped up in finding the greatest utility and here is one sitting under your nose. (No slam intended). That is why this site is so helpful.

Ya know? Good job!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

I don't see any flames in this thread, only honest responses to questions...

By the way, it's spelled C-O-N-C-A-T-E-N-A-T-I-O-N

and it's existed in DOS (as well as UNIX) since the mid-1970s (obviously, it existed earlier in UNIX)

(No slam intended...)
            Last edited by setarip; 3 Feb 2002, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• rizanur
              • Jan 2002

Just to put the record straight, I wasn't offended with the reply.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To rizanur

Thank you for that clarification...

Comment

Working...