Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurzot
    • Jun 2003

Not an AVI?

I have a p2p downloaded avi video that has defied nearly every attempt to be played. Apparently, the header is corrupt. I have tried literally EVERY tool on this site (DivFix, gspot, vDub, etc.) to no avail. All state that the file is "not an avi". I would give up and chalk it up to another fake avi on p2p, but VideoLan Client (vlc at http://www.videolan.org) plays the file flawlessly. It is the only player or tool that has even recognized a video stream in the file. Unfortunately, vlc does not allow the saving of files.

Any help out there? I need to get this on an SVCD.
  • SKD_Tech
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2003

Try opening the file in VirtualDub
    Then under "File" select File Information and post a screenshot of that.

Comment

• gurzot
      • Jun 2003

Thanks, SKD_Tech.

Well, actually Virtual Dub does not even get to the point where I can view file information (see attached pic).

I'll grant you that I'm not the most skilled user out there, but I've definitely tried all of the obvious things. What I may have to do is get the source code from the folks at videolan.org and see if I can figure out how they're recognizing the video stream in the file.

Not sure what else to do.

Anyone else wanna take a stab at this? Any other tools out there?

Just to narrow it down, I've tried:

AviChecker
      AviFixed 2.0b
      AviPreview by aj
      AviPreviewC (command-line)
      avsync
      DivFix 11
      DivX Mutator
      DivX Repair
      gspot
      Link2
      Restream
      TSCV 0.84
      YAAI 2.0.1
      AVI Fix Joiner 2.11
      DivX Fix Joiner 2.23
      ASF-AVI-RM-WMV Repair Tool 1.29
      AVI Constructor Pack
      Blaze Media Convert
      Virtual Dub
      TMPGenc
      VCD Easy
      VCDgear
      EasyX Video Converter

Whew! As you can see, I've certainly given it the old college try.
      Attached Files

Comment

• SKD_Tech
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2003

ok try moving the file to your desktop then opening it from there. Might not seem like much but it does help sometimes

Comment

• gurzot
          • Jun 2003

No go. I was pretty skeptical about it, since I've moved the file several times, made several backup copies and sent it to friends to try.

I'll post the first 32 bytes of the file and the last 32 bytes. Perhaps someone could find something there.

first:
          0000h: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 02 00 02 ; .ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.....
          0010h: 00 00 08 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ; ................

last:
          317fee40h: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ; ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
          317fee50h: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 01 B9 59 61 04 BA ; ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ...¹Ya.º

Still desparately seeking answers........
          Gurzot

Comment

• SKD_Tech
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gurzot
            No go. I was pretty skeptical about it, since I've moved the file several times, made several backup copies and sent it to friends to try.

I'll post the first 32 bytes of the file and the last 32 bytes. Perhaps someone could find something there.

first:
            0000h: 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 02 00 02 ; .ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ.....
            0010h: 00 00 08 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ; ................

last:
            317fee40h: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF ; ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ
            317fee50h: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 00 01 B9 59 61 04 BA ; ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ...¹Ya.º

Still desparately seeking answers........
            Gurzot
            Sorry I'm not that in depth with such files

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Post the first 256 bytes...

Comment

• gurzot
                • Jun 2003

Hi setarip,

I had originally intended to post the first 512 bytes, but there seemed little point. The remainder of the header is filled with 00H (null) bytes. The first 512K bytes, in fact, are relatively devoid of any useful information. So here's what I need: Something like VLC that is capable of extracting the video from a corrupt file. I'm certain that lots of other people have gotten avi's corrupt in the same manner, and have thrown them away assuming that there is no actual video data.

Thanks, and still looking.......

Gurzot

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Since you appear to have knowledge regarding the use of a hex editor, just for fun, try copying the header of a valid .AVI file (from 000 through 22C0) to a COPY of your problem file. Although it will probably crash (Do try to play it after you've added the header), you might then be able to successfully apply some of the tools you've mentioned to this bastardized file...

Comment

Working...