Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drewby
    • Jun 2003

Xvid encoded videos skip

I've got a bit of a problem with all of my Xvid encoded video files. Every one of them skips. I mean, it will play fine for a few seconds, then skip ahead (without me doing anything!) a few seconds and continue playback. It does this every 20-30 seconds and gets really annoying and causes me to miss out on some dialogue.

Anyone know what the problem could be and how to remedy it?

I have the K-Lite Codec pack from www.k-lite.tk, and I thought that was the problem, so I got just Xvid from FileMirrors.com and the problem persists.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Uninstall whatever XviD codec build that is bundled with the K-lite codec pack and install the Unstable XviD Build from Koepi instead.

In addition to that, make sure that DMA for your harddrive is enabled and that your CPU is sufficiently fast for decoding.

Comment

• Drewby
      • Jun 2003

First off, my computer is plenty fast (Duron 750MHz, 768MB RAM) and I beleive my HD has DMA enabled (how do I do this in WinXP?), but the problems persist.

I uninstalled the codec pack and the previous Xvid install, and I installed the latest Keopi (spelling?) from you link. Now, there is not video at all. Just gives me the Windows Media Player visualization crap, but the audio works.

Hm... puzzling...

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

my computer is plenty fast (Duron 750MHz, 768MB RAM)
        It's actually just fast enough. Enable all post-processing settings (from deblocking up to deringing) and you will see the CPU stuttering soon enough.

To find out whether the problem stemmed from an overtaxed CPU, play one of those problematic files, bring up the Task Manager (by pressing "Ctrl - Alt - Del") and go to the Performance tab. If the CPU Usage meter peaks constantly at 100%, then the CPU is the problem.

I beleive my HD has DMA enabled (how do I do this in WinXP?)
        It is automatically enabled in WinXP, but it is possible that PIO mode is in use instead. To check, go to Device Manager (Right-click on My Computer >> Properties >> Hardware >> Device Manager), and go to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

I uninstalled the codec pack and the previous Xvid install, and I installed the latest Keopi (spelling?) from you link. Now, there is not video at all. Just gives me the Windows Media Player visualization crap, but the audio works.
        It is possible that those files were not XviD-encoded in the first place, OR whoever created them had changed the FOURCC code to DIVX (so as to make the DivX 5 codec handle them). In any of those cases, you might have deleted the DivX 5 codec with the uninstallation of the K-lite codec pack and hence the absence of video.

In addition to making sure that you have the required codec installed, try other (more reliable) players. I recommend WMP 6.4 and BSPlayer.

Edit:
        Try using FFDShow to decode the files. Download and install it, and configure it to handle all the supported formats (DivX and XviD included). DOn't forget to enable Post-processing as well.
        Last edited by Enchanter; 17 Jun 2003, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Drewby
          • Jun 2003

I am sure that these are Xvid files. 100% sure.

I will look into some of this stuff in a bit and post my results. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

• Drewby
            • Jun 2003

Well, the computer is running fine. CPU usage rarely tops 40 when playing the movie. So it is not the system.

I'll try the BS Player like you reccomended. That last part I am not quite sure what you are talking about.

Comment

• Drewby
              • Jun 2003

Playing in BSPlayer, there is no audio.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Have you made sure that all required codecs, for video and audio, have been installed? Did you uninstall the K-lite codec pack and have inadvertently forgotten to reinstall the other codecs that could have been removed (for example, AC3 filters, DivX codec, etc.)?

Comment

• chickeneater
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2002

download ffdshow, get to the ffdshow config-->codecs-->//select all codecs except WMV1.

play file in WMP 6.4
                  go to the run command-->type in "mplayer2.exe" //without the quotes-->OK.

load your file-->press play.
                  FFDShow filters
                  Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• rosalie
                    • Sep 2003

Hey can somebody tell me how we download xvid? Please?!?

Comment

• WildmanJoe
                      • Jan 2003

Hey can somebody tell me how we download xvid? Please?!?
                      Try the software page...

Comment

• rosalie
                        • Sep 2003

thanx, but i found it right after i posted the question

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

rosalie,

For XviD playback purposes, I highly recommend FFDShow instead of the XviD binary builds. FFDShow possess post-processing filters, take little CPU power and carry much less problems than some of the XviD binaries.

Comment

Working...