Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrissmit
    • Jul 2003

Audio & Video Synchronization PROBLEMS

This is probably my last possibility to get an solution.

I'v got a problem with syncing Audio & Video when i'm encoding Divx & Xvid movies to get them to VCD format for my DVD player.

The last couple of days i've been reading and trying this forum, but sofar nothing has worked.

I'm using virtualdub 1.5.1 and have played with sevaral options:
    AUDIO: Interleaving (adjusting the skew in ms)
    VIDEO: frame rate control; 'change so video and audio durations match'
    Combinations of the two
    I've decompressed the audio part to .wav
    I've saved the original .avi as 'silen' (no sound)
    I've converted the .wav file from 48oooHz to 44100Hz

I REALLY don't know what else to do. So alll help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In what manner are the streams out of synch? Is the difference the same throughout (e.g. audio is two seconds ahead of video), or does the variance increase as the video proceeds?

Is this a problem with ALL of the DivX-compressed and XviD-compressed .AVIs that you've created, a few, or only one?

What are your system specifications?

Just to be clear, is the problem with the .AVIs, or after you've created the VCDs?

Comment

• chrissmit
      • Jul 2003

Hi,

Thanks for replying/asking.
      I've read some of your other/earlier replies, and tried some of your tips/advice to others. So far to no avail.

Here are my answers:
      The out of synch differs upon my VirtualDub settings. I've fiddeled with these settings and depending on those settings it either becomes progressively worse (as the video progresses), or remains 'stable' out of sync.
      I've fiddeled with 'interleaving' and 'frame rate control'; the closest i've come so far is an approximate 1 second difference.
      However, if I do nothing about the Vdub settings, the out of sync becomes worse as the video progresses.

To be honest I've been working on a DivX file now; before that i've tried a XviD file too, and it was the same story. I've included 2 files which are exports from Gspot.

My system specs are: P4, 2.54Ghz; XPprofessional with all patches and upgrades (sp1 etc); Geforce4 128Mb video; 512Mb RAM, what else...

The problem is with the .AVI's. When i've encoded a DivX file I check it with my media player (v9), and already there i see the out of sync. Therefore I don't even bother with burning it on CD.

I hope i've answered your questions elaborate enough like this.
      Thanks again. Waiting for your reply!

C.
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"The problem is with the .AVI's. When i've encoded a DivX file I check it with my media player (v9), and already there i see the out of sync."

I wouldn't arrive at any conclusions based on playback under Windows Media Player v.9. I'd strongly suggest that you install the older, more reliable v.6.4 (Desktop>>Start>>Run then type [without quotes] "MPLAYER2.EXE")

Also, as an experiment, convert one of your original unaltered .AVIs (that seems to have a synch problem) to VCD and burn to a CD-R - to see if it plays properly synchronized...

Comment

• chrissmit
          • Jul 2003

I've tried this now. Even (again) ajusted the audio-skew with 500ms, but the audio is about (and remains, even after ajusting) about 1/2 to 1 second ahead...

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Even (again) ajusted the audio-skew with 500ms"

You do realize, don't you, that 500ms is only 1/2 second?

Comment

• chrissmit
              • Jul 2003

Yes, I do realize that 500ms is only 1/2 a second. i didn't time the audio-video difference, but it is very noticable, and unacceptable

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"i didn't time the audio-video difference, but it is very noticable, and unacceptable"

Try adjusting the audio skew by an "outrageous" 12,000ms. The resultant change of the synchronization (probably out of synch in the opposite way) will give you a sense of how to calibrate the necessary adjustment...

Comment

Working...