Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trefrog
    • Aug 2003

MPEG black out

I didn't see any place to post about MPEGs, so here I am. Anyway, my MPEGs are all blacking out. They play for about 5-6 seconds and then go black, I went to the codecs and saw an mpeg one, and I killed it- nothing. I have the Ligos MPEG-2 config in my start menu, I unchecked 'Use Overlay Mixer' since it says to do so if there are playback problems- all to no avail! somebody hook me up!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If these are MPEGs that you've downloaded and not previously played successfully, they're probably intentionally fouled up files...

Comment

• trefrog
      • Aug 2003

No, they used to play fine before. These are my video codecs:

3ivx D4 4.0.4
      Cinepak Codec by Radius
      DivX MPEG-4 (Fast-Motion)
      DivX MPEG-4 (Low-Motion)
      DivX 5.0.5 Codec
      Indeo codec by Intel
      ir41_32.ax
      iyuv_32.dll
      Ligos Indeo XP Video 5.2
      Microsoft RLE Codec
      Microsoft Video 1
      Microsoft WMV 9
      msh261.drv
      msh263.drv
      MS-MPEG-4 MPEG-4 Video Codec
      msyuv.dll
      tsbyuv.dll
      XviD MPEG-4 Video Codec

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) Not one of the codecs you've listed has anything to do with the playback of MPEGs (MPEG-1/MPEG-1VideoCD/MPEG-2/MPEG-2SuperVCD/DVD .VOBs).

2) What is/are the format(s) of the MPEGs in question?

3) If you have a software DVD player, such as WinDVD installed on your system, try using it to play your MPEGs. If this is successful, use DVDGenie to register the WinDVD filters with Windows (In DVD Genie, click on the "WinDVD" tab, then click on "More", then select "Register filters with Windows")

Comment

• trefrog
          • Aug 2003

There doesn't seem to be any metadata in them, in the file properties. and abcavi doesn't do mpegs, and virtualdub only reports numerical stats. So I don't know what 'format' they are. the file types are .mpeg and .mpg..?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"There doesn't seem to be any metadata in them, in the file properties. and abcavi doesn't do mpegs, and virtualdub only reports numerical stats."

Load them into VirtualDubMOD (different than VirtualDub)

Have you tried to play them, as I suggested, using a software DVD player, such as WinDVD?
            Last edited by setarip; 31 Aug 2003, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• trefrog
              • Aug 2003

WinDVD just freezes up right when the movie loads. And VDubMOD doesn't display anything other than framerates n stuff; but at least the files will open without checking 'extended open options'. I really think it's a codec/software type of problem, since it's happening to all mpegs in the same way. It freezes after 5 seconds. Then if I stop playback, and play the same movie that was just stopped, then it's okay; but if there's another one in queue, it doesit again.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"And VDubMOD doesn't display anything other than framerates n stuff"

If you load one into VirtualDubMOD and then from the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information" - in the top border of that information window you'll see the type of file identified...

"Then if I stop playback, and play the same movie that was just stopped, then it's okay"

You've just now added something new to the equation - that you should have stated in your initial post.

Re-implement the "Overlay Mixer'

Re-install the Ligos MPEG Splitter and Ligos filters (They were probably installed as part of some video editing or similar software (possibly something from "Sonic"). Reboot.
                Last edited by setarip; 1 Sep 2003, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• trefrog
                  • Aug 2003

I got it solved for good. I simply abandoned media player and ascended to BSPlayer! It's niiiice.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"I got it solved for good. I simply abandoned media player and ascended to BSPlayer! It's niiiice"

Whatever works!

But, if I were you, I'd be concerned that, as YOU said, "WinDVD just freezes up right when the movie loads."

WinDVD is capable of playing all MPEG types. if you are still unable to playback your MPEGs under WinDVD, this is a clear indication that something is still "fouled up" in your system. Therefore, now that you're able to play your MPEGs under BSPlayer, would you once agian try to play one under WinDVD?

Comment

• trefrog
                      • Aug 2003

I don't really want to go through the trouble of installing WinDVD again, It was just a demo. If I want to actually USE my DVD drive for DVD viewing, I'll just dig out that disc with the Cyberlink player, wherever it is. I only bought the drive cuz it's a combo CDRW, and it didn't cost anymore. As long as it works when I rent LOTR 2, it's all good. I got BS for my divx/mpeg. Plus I'm getting an 80G HD drive real soon, so It'll be fresh. (this one's losing clusters) And this time, I'll be more observative when I install the k-lite codec pack (that's where the Ligos came from)... usually works fine though. Maybe I'll end up back with Nimo.

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

Whatever floats your boat ;>}

"Plus I'm getting an 80G HD drive real soon, so It'll be fresh. (this one's losing clusters)"

I hope you've backed up your present drive...

Comment

Working...