Problems with playing some DivX-movies with XP.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmolvik
    • Sep 2003

Problems with playing some DivX-movies with XP.

Hi!

I've done some browsing through the forums but didn't find anything the same as my problem. Lots of similiar cases, but this really annoys me.

I've always had a Desktop computer with Win 98, and have never had any problems playing any DivX-movies. With my new laptop computer with Win XP, the case is different. I can still play most movies, but recently I've had problems with some of them. When i try to play them (tried with Media Player, RadLight and BSPlayer)
    , I always get the same problem. "<program> has a problem and needs to be closed down. (translated from norwegia). I can't see any pattern in what movies that doesn't work, and therefore have a problems finding out what's wrong. Have installed Nimo Codec pack and also ffdshow, but it's still not working. Tried G-spot without finding anything strange. Some examples of moves that's not working are "Catch Me If You Can", "The Pianist" and "Friday After Next". (The most common versions).

I reaaly hope that someone can help me here, as it's quite annoying.

Thomas
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Some examples of moves that's not working are "Catch Me If You Can", "The Pianist" and "Friday After Next"."

1) What program did you use to convert these from DVD?

2) What video and audio codecs and settings did you use?

Comment

• scdlcgs
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Apr 2003

My advice: dont use any codec pack... it will cause a mess on your computer, just buse what you need to use, and tell us what codecs are you using
      Scdlcgs- Improving... Editing is my thing! Have patience...

Comment

• Qyd
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Oct 2002

use gspot or virtualdub to determine that video-codec is XviD
        install ffdshow for better XviD playback

try the advice in the sticky http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=15326 too

oh, and ac3filter for ac3 sound
        Last edited by Qyd; 7 Sep 2003, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• tmolvik
          • Sep 2003

Tried using gspot...

And everything seems to be OK. It says that I've got all the needed codecs installed both for Video and Audio. Tried rendering, and it said it should be able to play the file. Still I get the error in Windows.

What I can't understand is why it has to shut down the program, and why i get the same errors with every program I use. If I'd been missing a codec or something, I would have though it would just not play the feil or audio/video...

Comment

• klingonbld
            • Sep 2003

how to fix XP

Sometime XP will lock the codec. You may need to delete the l3c codecs in c:\windows\system32. This can be done in safe mode. Then reinstall Divx and Nimo. This will fix your problem.

Comment

Working...