Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skerit
    • Sep 2003

WMV9 AVI codec

I'm tryint to use the WMV avi codec, encoding a MPEG to AVI, because windows media encoder doesn't work and I would like to have avi's, I don't know if this is thesame for DIVX avi's, but my entire episode is out of synch, and not the good kind, it starts good, after 5 minute sound is first and after 10 minutes the image is first...

Read down for matroska problems :|
    Last edited by Skerit; 12 Sep 2003, 03:18 AM.
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

Try using VirtualDub to encode your movies... I tried that codec once but didn't know how to operate the d@mn thing and I gave up...

Btw all, did you hear that MS is trying to push for WMV9 to be the industry's standard?

Comment

• The Edge
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jan 2003

Welcome Skerit,
      You have a problem here. The WMV9 AVI codec never had sound in mind when designed. The timestamps are not defined when using it so when you mux the sound & video in an AVI, they're not in sych, or in your case gradually go out of synch.

So, don't use this if you plan on having sound basiclly
      Mux you video and sound in a WMV or a mastroka container

The Edge
      "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• Skerit
        • Sep 2003

I was thinking about that, microsoft that delivers an unfinished product... yet again... Do you have any idea on what I should use?

Comment

• The Edge
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jan 2003

Stick with DivX or XviD for the time being dude.
          Have a look at VirtualDubMod using matroska container

Try it and mux (join) your WMV9 video and seperate sound file together. Save it as a Mastroka file (*.mkv)

For more info:
          VirtualDubMod
          matroska.org

If you really want to use wmv9, don't use AVI container

Any other questions, ask away dude.
          "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• Skerit
            • Sep 2003

Thanks I'm surprised at how well people are helping me Nice forum,
            anyway, I used WMV's, all the time, because divx gives macroblocs aat a 100MB 42 minutes avi, I'm doing the '2-pass' thing now...

Matroska is something new? Like avi and wmv and mpeg? I should check it out

Comment

• The Edge
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Skerit
              Matroska is something new? Like avi and wmv and mpeg? I should check it out
              Matroska is just a container like avi. It's "not" a codec or a format like MPEG.

You can store pretty much any video and sound format in it. even subtitles. Just so ye know mate.

Edge

Comment

• Skerit
                • Sep 2003

hmm I know it's a container, I didn't know mpeg isn't a container... ah, you live and learn...

But they have this 'autodetect installer' thing, it doesn't work on my PC...

Is matroska any good? Can you use divx on it and all?

Comment

• The Edge
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jan 2003

It's early days yet for matroska. If your using DivX i'd stick with avi for the momnet. you can always convert to matroska later. It's beta at the moment.

Why will it not install?
                  works fine here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Skerit
                    • Sep 2003

It works now (just a netscape problem I think) Anyway, I encoded a mkv file, it went very fast, but I think it wetna bit too fast because I can't play it.. and it's only 30MB.

My matroska file is always around 30mb, even if the kb/s is ten times as big, and I can't watch it... what the hell do I do now?
                    Last edited by Skerit; 12 Sep 2003, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• movmasty
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by WildmanJoe
                      Try using VirtualDub to encode your movies... I tried that codec once but didn't know how to operate the d@mn thing and I gave up...

Btw all, did you hear that MS is trying to push for WMV9 to be the industry's standard?

http://www.doom9.org/
                      if you install the wmv9VCMsetup.exe from m$ it comes with a help file, but....if i just install it the wm9 coded doesnt show up in virtual dub,
                      to make it appears in Vdub i have to install a WMV9VCM.dll that i got on the hard disk but dont remember from where i took it,
                      anyone could clarify this wmv9VCMsetup.exe/WMV9VCM.dll thing ?

Comment

Working...