Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdoth
    • Sep 2003

Skipping and jerky playback

I am running media player 9, DirectX 9.0b. AMD 2400 Windows 98SE, 512MB ram, GeForce4 MX graphics card.

For some reason, which I can't correct, I'm getting skipping on audio and video playback. This doesn't happen with a DVD or when using the QickTime player.

It does happen with Media player and Real time. It also seems to effect streaming audio and video.

If I play the same file, it skips in the same places each time. The points are at random lengths but skip in the same places. The skip only last for one or two seconds or less. The overal effect is like listening to an old record player that has dust under the needle. ( for those who can remember that far back).

Any ideas ????
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

May the force be with you... wtf did you install WMP 9, Quicktime and RealPlayer ALL AT ONCE?

You're just screwing yourself in the @ss.

Anyway, uninstall all your codec packs and use Tsunami Filter Pack 3.99 (software page). Install DivxAntiFreeze and other necessary codecs. If it still doesn't help, install FFDShow.

Comment

• pdoth
      • Sep 2003

Problem - Still there !

Thanks for the reply WildmanJeo. Followed your advice to the letter with no luck.

I don't know if the following has any bearing on the root cause, BUT, I removed all the codecs from both Audio and Video with the exception of VDOnet Video Codec and Microsoft PCM Converter, which, for some reason refuse to be shiffed.

Even with all these codecs removed, the video clip still played back including the same skipping. ?

The main clip I am using as a test is an AVI file. The reason I downloaded QuickTime and RealOne was to be able to view this clip properly. The only player that plays back as intended is QuickTime. What's so different about this one?

I have also noticed that I have several drivers 'missing' listed under the SYSTEMS settings in the information box, all refering to the 'ACP IRQ Holder for PCI Steering (code=9)', - 10 to be exact. Are they in anyway involved?

Any further ideas on what I can try?

Comment

Working...