X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foto-flame
    • Nov 2003

XVid crashes Windows Media Player

hi,

i like to think i know a bit about computers (its my job/hobby), but this has me stumped.

I have several Xvid files that i can play fine in the DivX Player and Virtual Dub, but as soon as i try to load them with Windows Media Player (the win2k default and version 9) it brings up a program error box and closes.

I have uninstalled my xvid codecs, reinstalled them after reboots. Also tried that all-in-one codec packl that everyone seems to rate..but it remains.

I'm not sure how WMP calls up the codec, but the Divx player/VirtualDub seem to do it fine....this is really annoying as it occurs within programs that like to 'preview' files before you select them (i.e. in Nero v.9 when you choose an AVI to burn 2 CD, it shows you a little preview, most probs using WMP and thus crashing Nero)

There was a time, when all my Xvid files played fine. any ideas?

Thanx.
  • elgor
    • Jan 2004

i had exactely the same problem, and i removed the ffdshow codec by doing the following command in Start / Run

regsvr32 /u ffdshow.ax

then it worked in all the players!

With the software Gspot, I could see that my Xvid movie could be handled by the xvid mpeg4 codec and by ffdshow, but obviously ffdshow was the one that Windows Media Player chose, and it made it crash...

Comment

Working...