Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarquin
    • Jan 2002

my mpeg converted movie only fills part of the window

I decided to try converting a dvd to mpeg format, when I did this it worked (after lots of hours) but when I play back the file it only fills part of the window and does not fill it up. Is there a way I can fix this or somethng I need to do when I convert it to make it bigger. Even when I go to full screne it is only about half the width of my monitor and about 1/3 the height and it's shoved up towards the upper left hand corner. I would apreciate any adive on how to fix such a problem.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

What player (and which version of that player) are you using?

Comment

• tarquin
      • Jan 2002

I'm using windows media player 7.00.00.1440 Is there a better player that I should be using. If there was one that allowed me to zoom using a box then it wouldn't matter that there is a black box around my movie, but I haven't found one that works. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"and it's shoved up towards the upper left hand corner"

You haven't, by any chance, created an SVCD-compliant MPEG file, have you?

Perhaps it would be good if you walked us through the procedures you used to create this "MPEG" file...

Comment

• tarquin
          • Jan 2002

I'm not sure what an svcd compliant mpeg is. What's svcd? Well let me see if I can remember how I created the file. I think I first ripped the DVD to my hard drive using DOD DVD speed ripper v1.1 then I used flask to convert it to an mpeg. I don't remember what all setting and such I clicked, but I think thoses are the only two programs I used, besides a bitrate calcualtor.

Comment

• tarquin
            • Jan 2002

oh hey I see what you mean, yeah I guess it is an svcd because if I play the file using my dvd player software then it fills up the screne well minus the top and bottom because I kept it in widescrene. Thanks guys now i know how to play it back so it fills up the screne. So is it better to make svcd compliant copies or just normal mpegs?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

My pleasure ;>}

If you're going to be playing the videos exclusively on your computer, there's no reason to create either SVCD or VCD-compliant files. Stick with simple MPEG1 or MPEG2 formats and you'll be a happy camper...

P.S. When you are new to creating videos, it's probably a good idea to keep some notes about what you did and with which software. that way, you won't lose sight of "what works and what doesn't".
              Last edited by setarip; 27 Jan 2002, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• tarquin
                • Jan 2002

yeah thanks for the info, I have only converted oe movie so far aso there wasn't much to take notes on but oviously I need to try somthign a bit different next time so I will write down what I do. ONce again I apreciate your help.

Comment

Working...