Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nittany
    • Dec 2003

Sorry for another Newbie post....

Ok, I have read a lot of posts and web pages about this stuff and I am totally confused.

I just got a dvd burner and want to be able to burn movies onto DVD-R and then watch them on my regular DVD player.

I d/l an .avi movie format.

I then ran that TMPEGnc and followed the wizard instructs.

When it started...the thing showed that it had about 5 hours!!! to complete.

Is that how it works...you actaully see the entire movie go by and slowly convert to dvd mpeg2?

Does not seem right to me....

Also, the program told me that after conversion the file may be too big to burn...is that when I run the dvd shrink program?

I appreciate anyone's help.....remember...everyone was a newbie at some time.

Nit
  • pieroxy
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Nov 2003

Although this is a newbie post, it is pretty insightful. Here it goes:

1. Yes, it takes a lot of time to encode a movie to MPEG-2. You can get it to go faster by modifying some parameters, but that will give you a lower quality movie. Don't worry though, your movie will play normal speed on your DVD player
    2. The filesize of your resulting MPEG stream can be reduced by lowering the bitrate. Of course, lower bitrate = lower quality. Everything above 4MB/s will give you an excellent quality.

Go look in the download section for Calculators to get small utilities that will give you the optimal bitrate for your movie/media.

Any other questions?
    "on the north side of 'wild-cat peak' the 'snow squaws' shake their winter blankets and bring forth a chill which rides the wind with goad and spur, hurling with an icy hand rime, and frost upon a dreamy land musing in the lap of Spring"

Comment

• megamachine
      Video Fiddler
      • Mar 2003

It does take time any way you slice it, but you may be able squeeze a little more time out of TMPGEnc by disabling the preview window, and also messing with the priority settings.

Options - Preview option- Do not display
      Options - Task priority - High priority

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

Go check out this link about KVCD, KSVCD, and KDVD templates that are created for TMPGEnc:

Comment

Working...