X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • erik_karu
    • Dec 2003

Codec/setting for "interleaved mpeg"?

Hello all,

I have an "interleaved MPEG file" (or so VirtualDub tells me), size about 600MB. If I open it with Windows Media Player 9 or BSPlayer 0.86, both the players show the length of the movie about 0:02:00 (two minutes) and show only the very beginning of it.

However, if I open it with VirtualDub 1.5, its length is reported to be about 1:20:00 (correct) and I can watch the movie w/o problems.

What codec should I install so that I could you Windows Media Player to watch the film? Or is there something else I'm supposed to do? Googling around suprisingly didn't tell anything relevant (at least to me). I have WinXP + K-Lite Codec pack installed (during Oct 2003). The movies are downloaded from a P2P network so I can't say how they were done.

PS. Strange thing is that if I seek to near end right after starting watching the movie with WMP, end parts of the movie is shown, but only for a while. I mean, if I seek to approx. 90%, WMP tells that current position is 0:01:50 but the movie played from around 1:10:00, but only that remaining 10 secs what WMP thinks there's left.

Thanks in advance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sounds like you're dealing with an improperly joined set of files.

Try the following simple experiment:

TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut

Simply load the file.
    Set mode appropriately (either "plain vanilla" MPEG-1 or "plain vanilla" MPEG-2)
    Save with a new filename

Comment

• erik_karu
      • Dec 2003

Hi,

thanks for the tip, it helped with one such file. With others TMPGEnc uses the same lenght as WMP/BSPlayer and only outputs about 30MB. Also tried VCDGear's mpeg->mpeg convertion w/ Fix MPEG errors setting, but also it failed.

Btw, VirtualDub reports for these files errors (abou 10) when opened (and after the "Parsing interleaved MPEG file" status bar has gone):

MPEG: Anarchronistic or discontiniguos timestamp found in video stream 0 at byte position 314455356, from 16234452 to 27604. This may indicate improper join.

So your analysis seem to 100% correct. However, I'm still puzzled how to parse these together, VirtualDub seems to be missing MPEG fix options. Any ideas?

Comment

• erik_karu
        • Dec 2003

Checked the files with Adobe Premiere 6.5 and it also was fooled to think that the lenght is only two minutes. Also tried mplayer in Linux and it player the files no prob!

So, currently VirtualDub and mplayer can handle the files just fine, others are totally confused.

Comment

• erik_karu
          • Dec 2003

Well, my Win2000 went crazy so I installed Windows XP from scratch, installed all the updates from Windows Update and then installed latest K-Lite Codec Pack (Nov2003) and now the movies work with all the players!

Comment

Working...