The most insane error yet...help, please?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dwarsen
    • Feb 2004

The most insane error yet...help, please?

Alright, I do have a lot of codecs installed (codec packs and the like), but somehow it doesn't seem like that's the problem here. You see, I'm only able to start viewing a video-file ONCE when I've installed a codec (it can be any codec, or any codec-related program, ffsdshow for instance). After that, whenever I try to start a videofile WMP just sits there with a black screen, while my hdd is chewing on itself. Then after some chewing, it goes silent and nothing more happens. If I install a codec (or codec-related program), I can again view a file ONCE. Now, is this insane or WHAT?

Furthermore, when I used GSPOT to make sure I was having the correct codec, it went ballistic and told me some kind of error was afoot, and that it had intercepted a bad codec related to DirectShow, or something in that fashion. The file was:

"The codec was tentatively identified as:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\lameACM.acm
    msacm.lameacm"

Maybe it would just be best if I purged the system of all codecs and started all over? But I honestly don't know which codecs I have, my system is a mess. Can anyone please help me?

By the way, videos still work normally in DivX-player, but I need them to work in WMP as well to use them with my GBA Movie Player.
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

First thing I'd try might be to rename that ACM ACX or summat to disable it and see what that does

Insane error deserves a silly question:
    Are you downloading and saving when you 'add' the codec or running it from where it is and thus not saving it?

btw, if I'm not mistaken LAME is your MP3 codec.
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

Working...