X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirtyKash
    • Mar 2004

DivX file - Audio plays 2 seconds ahead of video

Hello all.

I have this DivX .avi file, and the problem is really bugging me.

When I play it, the audio seems to be playing about 2 seconds ahead of the video, i.e. you hear the sound and then 2 seconds later, you see the lips moving.

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-DirtyKash
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

Open your Dvix/AVI file in Virtual Dub (or any of it's variant programs). Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy". Go to "Audio" and select "Interleaving". Make sure the "Enable audio/video interleaving" box is checked. At the bottom of the dialog box, you will see an option for "Audio Skew Correction". Enter a (-) negative value in the "Delay Audio Track By" field until you bring the audio back into sync. Go back to "Video" and choose "Compression" and select a divx codec of your choice. Then go back to "File" and "Save AVI" (F7).

Comment

• Katala777
      • Mar 2004

I have the same problem and it appears in every full length movie.

It really drives me crazy...

If someone has had this problem and has been able to fix it, please reply.

Fresh ideas are also welcome!

Thank you for your time.

Katala

Comment

• Katala777
        • Mar 2004

Just to clarify...

The problem doesn't exist at the beginning of every divx movie, but it seems to multiply towards the end.
        So that at the end of every movie the sound might be ahead for even 10-15 seconds!

Takes away the fun of watching movies, you know...

My most recent problem accured when I was watching an xvid movie with the sound decoded with lame.

Thanks again.

Katala

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

To Katala777:

Did you attempt the method that I laid out in my post?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To Katala777

If the difference increases as the movie plays, using VirtualDub or VirtualDubMOD:

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" - and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Katala777
              • Mar 2004

So... I got this error message as soon as I opened an .avi movie.

"Virtualdub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 37268 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder."

I was really hoping to find some other way of solving this problem, because I've got a lot of divx movies and I'd rather not start modifying each one of them.

If this is my only choise, then of course, I'm willing to try...

Thank You for showing interest towards solving my problem.

Katala

Comment

• Katala777
                • Mar 2004

Ahem... I'd like to add an important correction. I might have been a bit tired when I posted my clarification message.

My problem is: Audio track actually falls behind the video track.
                (So that I might be watching the ending credits of a movie and still hear the dialogue going on and on... Mouths open but no voice is coming out...)

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

To Katala777:

You still have not indicated if you tried the method listed in my post. Also, did you attempt to try what setarip suggested? Regarding the error message in Virtualdub, I would just continue on and let it rewrite the headers.

Comment

• Katala777
                    • Mar 2004

Virtualdub's frame rate correction worked...

The reason I was reluctant to even try it out, was that I thought that I had an audio/video codec problem, because the problem occurred in several movies.

Now it seems that it was just bad luck!

I'm just gonna have to browse through my movies now and find the ones that have this problem.

Thank You very much for your time and interest ormonde & setarip!!!

Katala

Comment

• ormonde
                      Digital Video Explorer
                      • Dec 2003

"Thank You very much for your time and interest ormonde & setarip!!!"

Glad (We) could be of help

Comment

Working...