Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • topdong1
    • Mar 2004

sound and video get unsynched during play

i've read everything in the xvid playback section about how to resolve the problem of the audio and video getting more and more out of synch during playback. Nothing has helped

Athlon 1.47
    512MB PC2700 RAM
    64 MB GF2

Installed:
    BSplayer
    Crystal
    WMP9

FDDShow
    Koeppi's XVid 1.0

i've got some movies and cartoons where the sound starts off synchronized, but gets unsynched within a minute and just gets worse as it plays. I've tried using VirtualDub to recompress the audio in hopes it will match up, but i uninstalled it a while ago and when i r/einstalled it, the codecs that made the sound and video synch perfectly were gone. So i've been trying several different audio codecs with different KB in hopes of getting lucky, but still nothign. I've read something about checking the sound and video portions of the file to make sure they are the same length, is it worth it and how do you do it. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

A) If the difference between audio and video is constant throughout the video:

Load the file into VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod, or NanDub.
    Set BOTH "Video"(VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod and NanDub) and "Audio" (VirtualDub and NanDub - VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list") to "Direct Stream Copy".
    From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Interleaving" (For VirtualDubMOD, rightclick on the listed audiostream and then select "Interleaving")
    Under "Audio skew correction", set an appropriate number of milleseconds (positive or negative) in the box labelled "Delay audio track by"
    Save with a new filename

B) If the difference increases as the movie plays:

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" - and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• topdong1
      • Mar 2004

setarip

firstly, thanks for the reply

changing so the video and audio durations match helped fix the majority of them. i tried a combination of solutions 1 and 2 for the others, but the sound and video just get more and more out of sync. I'm using virtualdub 1.5.10. Would the results be better with another program?

I have some other problems you may be able to help with, and i'm sorry if this isn't the correct place to post them

Firstly, i've searched about people having problems with really low volume with videos. I've got the newest ac3 filter (version .7b), and disabled DRC in the AC3 config, but nothing. Every volume slider i have found is maxed out, in bs player, in sound properties, and the ac3 config, but i still have to have my stereo turned way up to hear everything. Any suggestions?

Lastly, i've got some movies that are too big for one cd, so i've been trying to change the compression on them. I used the MPEG-4 fast motion codec, and changed the compression control from 100 to 99, and the file size was chopped by 3/4. Needless to say the quality took a big hit. Would you recommend one codec over another? In the past when i recompressed with the Xvid codec, the sound in the newly compressed file would be out of sync, while the original was fine.

Thank you very much for you help thus far, but any other assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• zx50
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Aug 2003

The only encoder i know of that can increase the volume when encoding is DVDx (whether you want to use this is up to you) i normally tend to encode a few secs then see if the volume is right and if it's too low i increase it by one. I nearly always never have to go beyond 3. I don't know of any other encoder that can increase the volume.
        Computer Fanatic

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"firstly, thanks for the reply
          changing so the video and audio durations match helped fix the majority of them."

My pleasure ;>}

"i tried a combination of solutions 1 and 2 for the others, but the sound and video just get more and more out of sync."

If they are getting MORE out of synch, you are entering the value "in the wrong direction" (positive should be negative, negative should be positive). To enter negative values, simply place a minus ("-") before the number (NO space between minus and number)...

Comment

• topdong1
            • Mar 2004

just a follow up

well i got most everything the way i want it.

in virtual dub there is an option to increase the volume on audio channels. That's what i was looking for. You have to recompress the audio to do it. And in the process of recompressing the audio got out of synch, so once the recompression was done, i had to open it againm this time changing the frame rate so audio and video are the same and save again. I haven't tried to recompress the audio and change the frame rate at the same time. Breaking it up into steps allows me to see where the process goes wrong if and when it does.

I was able to recompress only one of my movies so that it would fit on a cd. I had to do the whole process in steps since the audio was outta wack. I recompressed the video with a smaller bitrate, as well as recompressed the audio so i could increase the volume. Once that was done, changing the frame rate so the audio and video had the same duration worked perfectly.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"well i got most everything the way i want it."

Glad to hear that ;>}

Comment

Working...