X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gad_drow
    • Jan 2004

HOW do you make DVD from VHS

How do you make DVD from VHS
    What do you need and can it be done throu tv-tuner and not your grafic card?
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Others may weigh in, but for what it's worth, I use an external capture device on my laptop that captures VHS from my VCR as MPEG-2, which I then edit and author as DVDs. This has worked fine for me for over a year, although I know there have been developments in other methods and hardware since then. Some folks prefer capturing to AVI. There's a lot of ways to do this, and it depends on your system and budget, and most of all your goals.

Comment

• ormonde
      Digital Video Explorer
      • Dec 2003

To gad_drow:

In addition to what megamachine stated, you should consider what the overall source quality of your VHS tapes is. If they are of medium to poor quality, and all you would want to do is just make a digital catalog of your tapes, then investing in a less expensive capture device might be the way to go. However, if you seek high quality results, then a more sophisticated device might be in order.

Comment

• gad_drow
        • Jan 2004

what kind of external capture device are we talking about? i tout that i simply take cable from my vcr to my grafic and sound card or if its posible tv card. make it play it on vcr and use uleads dvd workstation .sorry but i don/t understand could you explain it lake i was little child
        Last edited by gad_drow; 6 Apr 2004, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"i simply take cable from my vcr to my grafic and sound card or if its posible tv card. make it play it on vcr and use uleads dvd workstation."

If you have satisfactory results authoring DVDs with this method, then I would stick with it. You did state in your initial post:

"How do you make DVD from VHS
          What do you need and can it be done throu tv-tuner and not your grafic card?", so it seems that you were seeking alternatives. There are many "External" capture devices on the market. The better ones are either Firewire or USB II. If it helps, I have an Adaptec VideOh AVC 2210 external device that is both Firewire and UBS II compatible.

Comment

• megamachine
            Video Fiddler
            • Mar 2003

An external capture device converts the analog data from your VCR to digital data. I use ADSTech Instant DVD, though there are others (e.g., Dazzle). For me, with a laptop, it was necessary to use an external device, and the choices were limited. For desktop PCs, there are more options, though others with experience on those options will have weigh in. Most PCs these days have audio cards that can capture audio signals from analog to digital, but I'm not sure if a TV or graphic card can do the needed video conversion, nor am I familiar with Ulead DVD Workstation, if it's a capture software or if it's used just for DVD authoring. For the jargon, "capture" means convert the analog signal to digital, which your computer needs to process audio visual material, while "author" means to take those video files and assemble, with menus and the like, into a file structure that can be read by DVD players. You might also have to "encode" the digital signal to a format that is compliant with DVD players, which need MPEG-2. The device I use does the capturing and encoding at the same time, and I just need to edit (if necessary) and then author those files for burning onto a DVD. As Ormonde suggested, for very high quality output, then it is better to capture and encode separately.

Comment

• gad_drow
              • Jan 2004

i didn`t know if it would work
              i haven`t tried it jet
              but thanks im glad to know it will work with my grafic card

Comment

• Exar Kun
                • Mar 2004

Here are some ideas!!

Hope this helps. In the first link their using Sony’s Studio DV software.

Using Sony's Studio DV

Overall Walkthrough on Converting

Comment

Working...