Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SHAO
    • Feb 2004

AC3 Problem

long story short, i have some experience with using ac3 audio, i have an ac3 codec installed in windows and can play ac3 back in windows media player without any problems.

the problem is im trying to extract the ac3 file from a movie but when i extract it, it wont play back or be recognised in any of the programs i use to join it with the video, it should play fine in any player i have in windows, but it will only play back in my dvd player software and in "Creative MediaSource", everything else either has an error or just hold as if it's about to play. when i do play it back in either of the programs it does play in, it's fine and doesn’t have a problem, so i assume it extracted fine, but i don’t understand why then it wont play in anything else, i've tested a few other ac3 files without a problem this one being the only one not working.

the ac3 file is appx 2 hours and 6mins long, is it possible that ac3 files longer then 2 hours are un supported with the codec im using? (the codec being "ac3filter_0_70b")

For reference: i would if it was working use virtualdub to attach the audio.

The movie im trying to make a backup of is “The Core”, of which i legitimately own the original DVD
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try using AC3FIX...

Comment

• SHAO
      • Feb 2004

I tried AC3FIX with no result, it didn’t find anything wrong with the file and the output file had the same result as the original one

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

To SHAO:

Install AC-3 ACM Decompressor by fccHandler and see if that helps.

Comment

• SHAO
          • Feb 2004

Unfortunately the AC-3 ACM Decompressor by fccHandler did not work either.

i'd be interested to know if anyone has had an ac3 file longer then 2 hours before, as that is the only significant difference between this file and the other ac3 files i've used

-------------------------------------

I’ve just tried using winamp to play back the ac3 file, it could not at first, i then downloaded a winamp ac3 plugin (being from http://winampac3.sourceforge.net/ ), after installing that, winamp was able to play the full ac3 file back perfectly, is there any way to make it so windows will use this to decode ac3 files? i know it's a long shot, but still
          Last edited by SHAO; 26 Apr 2004, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"if anyone has had an ac3 file longer then 2 hours before, as that is the only significant difference between this file and the other ac3 files i've used"

Why don't you try converting the Ac3 file to an uncompressed WAV or Mp2 audio file? Is it absolutely necessary that you have Dolby 5.1 surround?

Comment

• SHAO
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ormonde
              Why don't you try converting the Ac3 file to an uncompressed WAV or Mp2 audio file? Is it absolutely necessary that you have Dolby 5.1 surround?
              For me it is necessary to keep the 5.1 sound as i have a 5.1 speaker setup on my computer and also plug my computer into the tv and watch movies in 5.1 off the tv.

at very worst, i need a program that will join the 2 files together as i can now at least play it back in winamp

Comment

• The Maynard
                • Jan 2003

Do you think that something happened with the drivers of your sound card? Have you tried uninstalling the sound drivers and reinstalling them?

Comment

• SHAO
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by The Maynard
                  Do you think that something happened with the drivers of your sound card? Have you tried uninstalling the sound drivers and reinstalling them?
                  I have reinstalled my soundcard many times, i've even reinstalled windows a few times, still the same problem.

BTW: i have a creative cabs sound blaster audigy 2 platinum soundcard

Comment

Working...