Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thor
    • Feb 2002

smr codec not consistent?

I am in the process of transferring from my old hard drive to a new one and have come across only one problem. I had divX 4.12 and the smr patch installed on my old drive and everything was working OK. However, when I play some movies on my new hard drive, I find the I get the no video only sound outputted problem that is usually sorted by the smr patch."[A decompressor was downloaded for this file, but it didn't work. You may need to restart your player or browser. (Error=80040200)]"

Does anyone know what is wrong? I have installed all the codecs in the same manner that I originally installed them on my old drive but the the same avi files which work on the old drive do not work when I boot to my new drive.
    The hardware has not changed, only the boot drive has been replaced and in both cases I have used Win98 with Media player 6.4.
    It does'nt make sense? Any codec experts out there with a suggestion?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Does your original Windows Registry still exist on your system? If so, it's possible that what amounts to a second installation of this patch has changed some incorrect bytes. If this is the case, you could try uninstalling all instances of both the codec and the patch. Then run RegClean (available from your good friends at Microsoft). Then install the codec and the patch.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• thor
      • Feb 2002

Thanks for the reply.
      Do you suspect that there was a problem with the smr installation then? I did a clean install of all my apps onto to my new hard drive so the smr patch was only installed once when the problem appeared. Since then, I have tried to reinstall a few times.
      Exactly what happens after you click the smr setup file? I don't get any signs of activity or even a confirmation message - is this what is supposed to happen? If not - then what does smr need in order to be installed?
      Unfortunately, I can't remember what I saw when I installed on my old drive.

Comment

Working...