Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lost
    • Feb 2002

Type 1 DV AVI to MPEG2 encoder wanted

I am a newbie. I have a camcorder that creates Type 1 DV AVI files. These files are too large to store or send(1GB for 4.5 minutes). I am having trouble finding an encoder to convert the files to a format such as MPEG2 which will reduce the size but not sacrifice the quality. (VfW won't support this format and VitualDub loses the sound). I think I need to use DirectShow. Can someone point me at a freeware/shareware encoder. Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) TMPGEnc should allow you to convert directly from Type1 DV to any of the MPEG formats you desire.

2) The problem you describe with VirtualDub ("loses the sound") may have been corrected in v.1.4.8 by the following (per the author): "Fixed output files being generated with type 'ivas' when the source was a type-1 DV file."

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Lost
      • Feb 2002

Thanks setarip,

VirtualDub 1.4.8 gives a message on loading the AVI. "Type-1 DV file detected. Type-1 DV files .... and VirtualDub currently cannot extract the audio."

However, I installed the lastest v. of TMPGEnc and this did the trick. My videos are about about 90% smaller and I am happy with the quality. This version includes a wizard that got me going quick. Wouldn't hurt if they ran the GUI through the spellchecker. Still, I think I'll spring for the pro version in 30 days.

Comment

Working...