Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shibudi
    • Feb 2002

unique divx prob.

Recently, when i played my avi files in windows media player 7.1 and bsplayer 0384, there is only a grey colored screen but with sounds. Only in playa have i been able to see any pictures. On the other hand, mpeg and asf are still playable in the first two player. If the codec is the problem, normally there is a visualization and just sound (not grey screen color i have). Still, I reinstall the codec from the microsoft site, divx 3 alpha, and divx 4 but nothing happened. I even reinstall the media player and still.... I can reinstall the whole OS( that maybe my last resort). PLZ help me guys.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What OS are you running? And have you tried updating your video driver instead?

DivX3 codec from M$?

Comment

• shibudi
      • Feb 2002

i am running windows 98SE. I have been using the OS for a millenium now and without a problem unlike the windows 8 accompanied in my windows xp which i recently uninstalled. About the video driver, its the latest .

I had installed the direct x 8.1 a while a go cause i just undual boot my pc to single W98 meaning i have to reupdate all drivers. The direct x8.1 might be the reason cause the problem started after i installed it i think, but since i have been using it from my last OS, I disregard it.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

i am running windows 98SE. I have been using the OS for a millenium now and without a problem unlike the windows 8 accompanied in my windows xp which i recently uninstalled. About the video driver, its the latest .
        That's really confusing. You ARE running Win98SE anyway right now, correct?

I had installed the direct x 8.1 a while a go cause i just undual boot my pc to single W98 meaning i have to reupdate all drivers. The direct x8.1 might be the reason cause the problem started after i installed it i think, but since i have been using it from my last OS, I disregard it.
        When you undo your dual-boot option (that's what I think you were doing), the Windows version that remains (98?) should not be affected and you need not reinstall the drivers. All you had to worry about is the boot.ini file. Or were you saying you just downgraded your Windows version from XP to 98SE?

Anyway, try playing the movie in other players, including WMP6.4, which is better than 7 IMHO. Otherwise, you could try reinstalling your Windows and really start sorting out the mess from your previous configurations (Read: format your partition).

Comment

• shibudi
          • Feb 2002

Oh, hehe, Sorry for the confusion. What i mean is I uninstall the windows XP. W98 then remains. I could change the boot.ini but since my W98 is full of dlls, inis,etc left from hundreads of Progz and Warez I uninstall after being used, it has become very slow. Norton Systemworks 2002 is useless, it even takes usefull dlls so I uninstall W98. I now use the newly installed W98.

Now back to the topic. I still have the windows media 6.4 cause it still remains in the program files folders for rollback after i install 7.1. Ive tried using it and still only grey screen appears with sounds.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

And did this problem appear only after you reinstalled Win98SE? If so, maybe you should try reinstalling Windows again and make sure that everything is properly installed, including the video compression options. It looks like a botched video setting to me.

Comment

• shibudi
              • Feb 2002

The problem appears long after the installation of W98. I think the installation is very clean cause like before, all hardware are assigned with corresponding drivers and there's no glitches.

This happened lately. All mpeg, asf, mp3, etc. are all playable except the avi w/c has only grey color with it and sounds.

Comment

Working...