X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoGa
    • Feb 2002

sos !!! help everyone plz...

hello i have the movie "the others" on divx and i have a problem
    i have tried to play the movie in the windows media player but it aint workin i have downloaded all the plugs in the web but it aint worked... plz help me...

by the way i am runing it on windows XP this may be the problem...
    and the problem that the windows media player shows is:
    "cannot playback the file the format is not supported"
    Last edited by NoGa; 27 Feb 2002, 12:29 AM.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Assuming that you have installed the necessary codec (3.11a and/or 4.12), I don't see why you can't even open the file.

Maybe the file isn't really a DivX file. Try opening it using Quicktime and Realplayer. If it still does not work, I'd say you've got a bogus file...

Comment

• NoGa
      • Feb 2002

its not a bugs file because in my friend computer that have windows 98 the movie works just fine... so i dont know what to do....

any sugesstions ???

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Which codec are you using?

Many, with 4.x codec, are having trouble playing contents encoded with 3.11a, which is why I recommend installing the both of them (while making sure that 4.x does not play 3.11a contents).

Honestly, I've not seen any playback problems on the XP systems I've had. They all 'purr' happily, just like any other older OSes.

Comment

• NoGa
          • Feb 2002

do you know where i can find the divx v3.11 ????

Comment

• Marky
            • Feb 2002

Is it a *.divx or a *.avi file? If it is a *.divx file try "the playa" because Windows media player can't do this.
            And make sure that you have installed the latest DivX-Codec 4.12.
            Try to find out something about the file and your codecs by clicking the right mouse button and choose properties.

Bye
            Marky

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Digital Digest DivX XviD Software Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI software, latest news and updates

Just a thought. Try opening the file using both WMP6.4 and WMP8. The latter, I just recalled, has trouble playing back avi files encoded with M$ MPEG-4 codec (not DivX). 6.4 does not play an avi file straight away when it is the default player (and after you double-click on the file). Both versions have their flaws and good points.

Comment

• NoGa
                • Feb 2002

do you know how can i remove the XP media player in order to install the windows media player 6.4 because the 6.4 version tells me that there is nothing to install

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

The 6.4 is included in all versions of Windows (from 98 & above, as far as I know). Find it in x:\Program Files\Windows Media Player. The player carries the name mplayer2.exe.

Comment

• NoGa
                    • Feb 2002

o i have found it but it still have the same message on the screen
                    by the way my friend windows media player version is 7.1 and it worked on his computer...

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

WHat codec are you actually running with now? Try 3.11.

Comment

• NoGa
                        • Feb 2002

i am using 3.11

Comment

• Spartan
                          • Mar 2002

Just a thought _ I experienced trouble with one of my DivX movies not playing, similar to what you describe. I now use Zoom Player and it works fine with all the movies I have. It can be found at:

The official website for Zoom Player, my life's quest to create the ultimate Media Player, Home Theater PC and IPTV player for Windows. Zoom Player plays practically every media / streaming formats, providing a fully customizable, enjoyable and immersive playback experience with intuitive interfaces and 100's of unique features..

I would also re-install the DivX codecs (3.11 & 4.12). On installing 4.12 use the option not to let DivX4 play DivX 3 files _ give it a try _ No promises, but, may just work.

If the above does work, I would then upgrade to DivX 5.

Cheers

Comment

Working...