X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marky
    • Feb 2002

Minimum System for DivX

Hi

I'm looking for a minimum system that could play Divx-Content. I watched a DivX Movie on a PII at 233 MHz with 96 MB Ram, 16 MB graphic card, 4x CD-Rom and it plays smoothly. Is there a system beneath it, that could handle DivX?
    I also want to know a cheap (perhaps older) graphic card with the best TV-out quality and I have to boot directly in the TV-out mode ?

My Intention is to build a "DivX-player", by taking "old" computer components that have sufficent power but are quiet.
    Is there anybody out there who already built a "DivX-Player" and could give me some other hints like recognize file-format in CD -Rom player and autoplay that file by just switching power on?

Thanks
    Marky
  • muzikul
    • Feb 2002

As far as the video card is concerned, check out the Voodoo 3500TV. It's the only card that I have seen used, and the output is good on it.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

Today's "low end" sub $1000 systems are very capable of playing divx. This could save you time and possibly money. Purchase a cheap system, replace it every 3 years and I'm confident you'll be able to play the latest video formats without a problem. Generally a 500 Mhz+ machine with at least a 16 mb video card is recommended.

I wouldn't mix "old components" with "new components" it may work for semi-conservate replication of DNA but I'm not sure it will yield the best results in your computer. Technology changes fast.

For a "tv-out" card try the Geforce series. You may not be able to view your desktop clearly, however divx playback should be good. Anyways, you may have to experiment with many cards.

Comment

Working...