X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leonard.shelby
    • Feb 2002

mpg to avi conversion

Hello everyone...

I'm trying to convert a .mpg to a .avi. I tried using m2apx3g.exe with the following command string:

e:\m2apx3g.exe -b widowspeakhq.mpg -q0 -f -o6 wid.avi

this proceeded to bring up the preview window and play through the .mpg file but when it was finished there was no .avi file.

Am I missing part of the string? Is there better software available?

Also I'm using the editing software that came with my firewire card StudioDV. The software has a clean interface and is easy to use but is there something better out there that i should switch to? adobe premiere perhaps.

Thanks in advance

Jason
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

TMPGEnc or Virtualdub. These two programs are standard for mpeg to avi conversions. In TMPGEnc, be sure to select "output to file type" "avi" and select your compression. In Virtualdub, load the file and then select your compression and save the file.

Comment

• leonard.shelby
      • Feb 2002

a little trouble....

thanks for pointing out the programs but i'm having some trouble...

the virtual dub program gives me the following error when i try to load the file:

MPEG import filter: pack synchronozation error

and the other program TMPGEnc either freezes or says that the mpg is an incompatible file type

the file was compressed using studio DV MPEG Layer-2 16-bit Stereo 48 kHz at 720x480 6000 kbits/sec data rate.

Also the reason that i'm trying to convert this is because the project file was corrupted. (i added some additional scenes from another project and the audio and video are just not right) so i'm trying to take a high quality mpg render and convert it to an avi so that i can then re-edit since studioDV only allows you to import .avis

thanks for your help so far

Jason

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Now you've made it clear that the file is in MPEG2 format - which VirtualDub does not handle (only .AVI or MPEG1 for input).

Although others may suggest differing software, I'd suggest that you simply load the file into Flask and convert it directly to a DivX-compressed .AVI format. If you don't already have a DivX codec installed, I'd suggest that you download and install the original (and rock solid) DivX v.3.11alpha codec.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

Working...