X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom_NL
    • Dec 2004

Interlaceproblem with BBmpeg

Hey,

I do use BBmpeg to convert DV avi files (PAL/720x576x25) to convert to a MPEG2 file to burn on DVD.
    When I convert the DV avi to PAL DVD with interlacing, the result is poor when playing on my Television with my stand-alone dvd-player. It seems like my dvd is playing the next 2nd frame, then frame before, then the next 2nd frame, then one before etc. <a href="http://members.chello.nl/tom.bakker/error.jpg" target="_blank">Click here</a> to see to get an impression how it looks like on tv (recorded with my camcorder from my television, so very poor quality). When playing on my pc I don't have any problems, except for the interlace-lines ofcourse.
    When using de De-interlace option, the problem isn't there anymore or is much less, but the video doesn't run very smoothly. It looks like it only plays 12,5 frames which is also not what I want.
    With other convertprograms outputting to 720x576x25 PAL DVD, interlaced isn't a problem. Only the imagequality is an issue. BBmpeg seems better, except for this issue.
    I hope there is an explanation/solution. Anyone? Thanx in advance. I'm already busy for months to get a satisfying dvd convertion for my DV-tapes.

Greetz,

Tom
    Last edited by Tom_NL; 5 Dec 2004, 07:05 AM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you haven't already done so, try "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEncPlus"...

Comment

• Tom_NL
      • Dec 2004

Yep, I tried TMPGenc, but I am still not satisfied The image is quite good.. The motion is also very smooth.. Only the complete image is noisy.. Certainly with a moving object, the borders of that object (contrast with the background) are unsharp, and blocks of 1 color are continu bothered by moving noise.. Unrestful to watch in my opinion..
      <a href="http://members.chello.nl/tom.bakker/clap.jpg" target="_blank">Click here</a> for the image.. Left the original DV avi file.. On the right the output of TMPGenc, interlaced..
      By the way, does anyone know why I am getting the green stripe on the bottom of the video with my TMPGenc output?
      Btw, I have to admit it's a great codec compared to some others, but still a big loss to my original DV tape..

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"the borders of that object (contrast with the background) are unsharp, and blocks of 1 color are continu bothered by moving noise.."

Have you (Under the "Advanced" tab) used the Deinterlace filter? If not, set it to "Even field [adaptation]"...

Comment

• Tom_NL
          • Dec 2004

Thanx for advising me .. I'm trying it right now, but it takes some time... Approximately an hour for 1 minute of video... But if it works it's fine with me, and I just have to buy a faster computer than my 1Ghz PIII ...

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Thanx for advising me"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Tom_NL
              • Dec 2004

Well, after testing with your advice it hasn't improved yet. It could be that the image quality is a lot better, BUT, as mentioned in my first post, the movie isn't running smooth. It seems like it's 12,5 frames, and is very unrestful to look at.
              However, I've tried some other options in TMPGenc, and with the advanced tab, I came to the conclusion a very simple option "Motion Search Precision: Highest Quality (Very Slow)" improved the quality very well. Stupid I haven't seen/tried it before (which I did with other programs)
              So I don't use deinterlace options or whatever anymore because of the less smooth video. The 'highest quality'-option makes the video the best quality I have experienced till now. <a href="http://members.chello.nl/tom.bakker/verschil2.jpg" target="_blank">Click here</a> for the difference between the standard quality setting and the highest quality setting. As you can see, the left is better.

Only one problem, which falls out of scope when playing on the TV, but bit annoying on the screen when playing in a window is the green stripe at the full width of the screen at the bottom of the movie. When previewing the video with the deinterlace option for example, I don't get the stripe with 'odd-field', but I do get the stripe with 'even-field', and with NO deinterlace at all, which I use right now ofcourse. <a href="http://members.chello.nl/tom.bakker/green.htm" target="_blank">Click here</a> to see an example of the video with the green stripe.
              Is there any way to remove this stripe? The quality of the video is satisfying me a lot more now Thanx again..
              Last edited by Tom_NL; 6 Dec 2004, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...