Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dantart
    • Dec 2004

Mpeg 1 to DVD

I captured my DV from my camcorder to my pc and it is in mpeg-1 format. Can I burn this to DVD or does it have to be converted to mpeg -2.

Also,

If I have two .avi files (from a movie), do I have to convert both to mpeg-2 and burn to dvd, or can I burn the .avi to dvd. What is the advantage of converting them. I am new to all of this so if these are basic questions I apologize.

Thanks In Advance,
    Dan
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

It all anchors on what player you want to display the output.
    If you want to use standalone DVD players, then the required format is mpeg2.
    If merely using them on PC's then just burning them in data mode in original file types is sufficient.

A quoted and popular guide to DVD compatibility is;

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• Dantart
      • Dec 2004

Thanks for the help,

How do I take two .avi files and merge them into one mpeg-2? (i.e. - 2 parts of one movie...)

Thanks Again,
      Dan

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

what I'd do is TMPGEnc both into mpeg2's, then open TMPGEnc DVD Author, open one mpeg2, then add the other with 'add file'.
        They'll go into separate chapters.
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"open one mpeg2, then add the other with 'add file'.
          They'll go into separate chapters."

Although this is mostly correct, it is a bit misleading.

By selecting "Add file" (NOT "Add new track"), you will have one continuous file/TITLE - for which you can create chaptering and, if you wish, a menu...

Comment

Working...