• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RiktorsAshen
    • Mar 2002

Divx Hell!

Divx under xp just won't work! I've tried many, many files
    Here is a summary of the errors I get:

WMP (both new and old versions) -- crashes and asks to send error report to microsoft

ThePlaya -- plays the movies but drops frames occasionally. Fast forward crashes the playa (a problem because if there is too much motion in a frame, it crashes the playa)

BSPlayer -- first time I open a movie file it give me an error of the format "Access violation at address 77F5230C in module 'ntdll.dll'. Read of address FFFFFFFC. When I open the file the second time, it runs but the video is slow (yet the sound is at normal speed, it gets out of sync very badly very quickly). I've tried deleting all its registry keys, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc.

Gdivx -- when it opens a file it says "An error occurred while attempting to play file "thefilename". blah blah (error code #-2137417848/Error description: Automation error The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.) But the file is still loaded, and it didn't used to give me that error. When I hit play it says "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch"

Radlight -- gives me same error as bsplayer first time I load the file, crashes on second (without error message -- just kinda disappears)

Other players -- any combination of the above.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling divx codecs multiple times, installing divx 3 then divx 4, installing nimo, installing wmp codec packs, and any combination of the above.

Running Windows xp pro with geforce3 and game theater xp. Any hints you have would be very helpful.

Thanks!
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

It's very possibly a fault within your system, not necessarily XP (I've played DivX movies uncountable times on these systems).

Try reinstalling your video drivers to the latest and most stable version. Try changing the Video Hardware acceleration too until you can find stable performance. If that does not help, you may have to look around your motherboard or graphics card manufacturer website to see if there are any specific issues with the hardware. Look around for any patches and BIOS update (Be careful with these!!!).

Good luck.

Comment

• shibudi
      • Feb 2002

1. Its useless to add more players because once the Media Player 8 has the divx problem all players will have. Only the Playa will be the one left working cause it is connected to divx itself.

2.If the problem persists after you have been using your system, its not motherboard, Bios or graphic Cards that do it( even if you have old and it works before it will always work even if you dont upgrade, upgrading might even worse you problem especially alpha products that have bugs). Video drivers working before tends to be the last one corrupted or misconfigured. In your case, I think its not the problem.

3.Did you download your XP off the internet? Though mine works perfectly with divx, i cannot tell yours cause some xp are the protoype, first builds full of bugs. If its installed by your company, and working perfectly, its not the problem. If you installed it and there some screen that shows while installing that you cannot understand, it might be your xp.

4. If you are always downloading players or programs from the internet , they might have corrupt the system if they are from untrustfull sources or they are in conflict with others. It sometimes happened.

5. Use Windoctor from Norton, it can check and repair Windows errors inc dlls inis and registry.

6.if you see that your problem is the installation of the xp, clean install it again.

7.If you have no other options left and all you want is to watch divx, why not install linux. Its really good in playing divx

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

...why not install linux. Its really good in playing divx.
        I would be interested to know if there are any good sites or guides around for someone who would like to try out using Linux and cannot afford too much time being in the dark about what to do when a problem arises.

Comment

• RiktorsAshen
          • Mar 2002

I tried linux divx about a year and a half ago
          it sucked

Comment

• RiktorsAshen
            • Mar 2002

really though..
            I just want to fix gdivx's runtime 13 error. It works with other files.. just annoying

Does anyone know of a codec detector/uninstaller?
            someone should write one.. it would be easy enough..
            maybe I'll do it

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

I doubt a player will make a difference. I would go to win 98 or win 2000 they have greater support for "legacy" hardware or most hardware. Otherwise, see if you can get the latest drivers for xp. I use yeahplayer (which I used after GDIVX wouldn't work for divx avi files).

Comment

• shibudi
                • Feb 2002

RiktorsAshen if good operatiing systems dont work on you, it looks like you are the problem. You are having this kind of problem all the time, you better wait for divx for dos.That is if someone could create it.

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

As I mentioned earlier, just have a look at your hardware and software installation and see if there are any underlying problems, before you consider a user error. Cheers.

Comment

• RiktorsAshen
                    • Mar 2002

Everything works awesome, except for divx.
                    Divx for dos was released a long time ago..

The only hardware problem I have is that my fdc is broken.
                    All drivers (mobo, vidcard, soundcard) are installed correctly and functioning. Mobo bios was upated last summer, no new fixes released since then. My xp license is legit.

I'm hoping divx 5 will work correctly.
                    The playa does work, but it sucks. While it doesn't drop frames in xp like it did 98se its image quality is horrible compared to gdivx or bsplayer. My bsplayer is still "touchy". Sometimes it works fine, sometimes the audio gets way out of sync. This does not correspond to whether the file is divx4 or divx3 encoded.

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Last I heard, DivX5 won't be free for distribution, but will be, though, once an owner decides to kindly share it.

Does your motherboard manufacturer have a forum for user to give their complains and problems to?

Comment

• RiktorsAshen
                        • Mar 2002

now this.. this is interesting
                        All my divx players work fine playing non-divx stuff, so I uninstalled all my divx codecs. I was going to try installing xvid (or xdiv, whatever). Before I installed new codecs I decided to try something -- open the divx files without the codec installed.

I noticed that when opened a divx file all my programs would have the same errors as before with the codecs installed. If the error wasn't fatal, I would then get a file type not recognized error (which I should get, my codecs are uninstalled)
                        wtf?!
                        THAT MAKES NO SENSE
                        maybe I have a rogue audio codec somewhere

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

Just try the classic method. Install 3.11a, then 4.x. It usually works for the average users. No rocket science there.

Comment

• RiktorsAshen
                            • Mar 2002

with or without codecs, same errors

Comment

Working...