X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZZ-Diego
    • Feb 2005

joining two films with 1.85 + 2.35 aspect ratio

Hi,

want to join to films (mpeg-2 format). The one is in 1.85:1 aspect ratio and the other in 2.35. Problem is, there seems to be no converter out there who will convert either of the films into the other ratio. I downloaded
    and tried "River past video perspective" and "Framerate Converter HQ 2.01" but neither of these can import mpeg2 or save it. Only avi and divx supported and even if i would do this tremendous conversion work first to divx and back to mpeg afterwards for burning on DVD, i am not sure if the blackbars will disappear on widescreen displays.

Is there a program who will do that nicely? Whats the best way to do it? I want to have one of the aspects ratios in the end....doesn´t matter if that will be 1.85 (widescreen) or 2.35 (cinescope) ratio.

greetings
    ZZ-Diego
    Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd, you look out for one another.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I want to have one of the aspects ratios in the end....doesn´t matter if that will be 1.85 (widescreen) or 2.35 (cinescope) ratio."

Simply use "TMPGEnc" to convert the aspect ratio of one of the two files...

Comment

• ZZ-Diego
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by setarip
      "I want to have one of the aspects ratios in the end....doesn´t matter if that will be 1.85 (widescreen) or 2.35 (cinescope) ratio."
      Simply use "TMPGEnc" to convert the aspect ratio of one of the two files...
      Hi Setarip,

as far i can see TMPGenc only supports 1:1, 4:3, 16:9 and image 2.21:1 formats. How could it work?

The thing is, if i convert them both now to 2.21:1 , won´t i have different black bars on either films? Even with cropping won´t there be transition point steps in resolution?

thanx in advance

greetings
      ZZ-Diego

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"if i convert them both now to 2.21:1 , won´t i have different black bars on either films? Even with cropping won´t there be transition point steps in resolution?"

Instead of "talking it to death hypothetically", simply try it...

Comment

• ZZ-Diego
          • Feb 2005

Okay, thats pure horror work now. I am sure there are some easier ways to fix it, but i don´t get it that way.....

So here we go.....a long story....

1) first croped the 2.35:1 aspected ratio film with VirtuaDubMod on 30 lines @top+bottom and then resized it to 720x576 and saved it to avi with Divx decoder.

2) transcoded (1.85:1 aspected ratio) other film with TMPGenc. Marked it to be a !2.21:1 film! and encoded it to 16:9 film to get more blackbars. Then loaded this film into VirtuaDubMod and also croped and resized bigger so that it will fit with the other film and saved as avi with Divx decoder.

3) everything was muxed with Ddigital audio which was demuxed before and encoded to mpg with TMPGenc again by also reducing resolution to VCD format to fit it on one DVD.
          Note:
          Average bitrate of 1700mb is good enough to keep the 5.1 audio!

Found out: Neither TMPGenc nor TMPGenc plus/Xpress are able to decode to 2.35:1/2.21:1 aspect ratio!

greetings
          ZZ-Diego
          Last edited by ZZ-Diego; 14 Feb 2005, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Perhaps another poster will be interested in analyzing your posts to this thread and providing you with suggestions for your (apparently) changing problem/need - as I really have no idea, nor further interest, as to why you are now talking of creating and modifying .AVIs using VirtualDub, demuxing and remuxing, using .AC3 audio, etc. - when your initial post to this thread simply asked about combining two MPEG files of differing resolutions...

Comment

• ZZ-Diego
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by setarip
              Perhaps another poster will be interested in analyzing your posts to this thread and providing you with suggestions for your (apparently) changing problem/need - as I really have no idea, nor further interest, as to why you are now talking of creating and modifying .AVIs using VirtualDub, demuxing and remuxing, using .AC3 audio, etc. - when your initial post to this thread simply asked about combining two MPEG files of differing resolutions...
              Sorry, wasn´t my aim to upset or confuse someone. It got more complicated as i thought. Seem to work now....

thanx Setarip

ZZ-Diego

Comment

• reboot
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2004

I'm going to ignore most of this thread, and attempt an answer to the first post.
                There's no need to join.
                Author them in DVDLab, using a separate VTS for each movie.
                My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"Seem to work now...."

Glad to hear that ;>}

"thanx Setarip"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...