Ever so slight jerky playback in 4.12.....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Riddick
    • Mar 2002

Ever so slight jerky playback in 4.12.....

Hello, just started experimenting with the new divx codec 4.12; before then I was using the older 3.11 alpha. BTW, which one do you guys think is better overall? Anyway, my problem is that I've successfully encoded several movies but they all have ever so slight jerky playback--even at original resolution. The movies themselves look great but the jerkiness is kinda distracting. For your info I am using the "one pass" with "slowest" settings. The bitrate is set to 1000 and the max quantifier is at 6 and the min quantifier is at 4. The resolutions I usually use are: 576x3**, and 544x2**. Overall I am very happy with the codec--it's just this little nuisance I'd like to remedy. Any suggestions, solutions welcome.

-John Riddick
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

BTW, which one do you guys think is better overall?
    That's a very argumentative topic, which all comes down to personal preference. I like 3.11a for its better colour strength on my display anyway.

What is your system spec? And what is the audio track format?

Comment

• John Riddick
      • Mar 2002

I am on a PIII Dell 1.0ghz, 256mb RAM running Windows XP Professional using FlasKMPEG 0.6. I had an inkling it might have something to do with the audio. I do the audio and video all in one run using the mpeg layer-3 codec at 56kbit/s 48,000khz mono. I know this is probably a much lower bitrate than most of you use but I prefer to give all I can to the video Now that you mention it, I remember reading somewhere about an issue with 48,000 khz audio causing synch problems with the 3.11 alpha codec--did this cross over into the 4.12 codec as well?

-John Riddick

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I suggest you use the original sound frequency (48KHz?) and a bitrate of 128kbps. My ears hurt something awful whenever I heard anything worse than this.

As for the video, you'd be better off to do a 2-pass encoding, which will give you the maximum possible quality in the smallest possible size. Oh yes, set the min quantisizer back to 2. You're missing out on some quality. The Max quantisizer can be set higher to 8 or higher, depending on how low you want the bitrate to be.

Do these and see if your audio synch. problems remain or not.

Comment

Working...