Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clazymike
    • Mar 2002

please help--strange freeze during playback of burned cd

I've been having this strange problem--when I download a divx movie, it plays fine and dandy off the HD. However, when I burn the file to CD and attempt to play it, it attempts to open the player, but then freezes and locks up the whole computer. I'm using Win 2k, but I can't even manually shut down the player or the explorer, I have to cold reboot.

I am using a P3-700 Mhz and I'm trying to play the movies with a Plextor 121032A. I'm using Nero 5.5 and NTI CD Maker 2000 Pro to burn the files. Nero never works, and NTI works maybe once out of 5-6 times.

The weird thing is that I burned about 60 movies before and they all worked fine, but I had a hard drive crash about a week ago and after getting a new drive and reinstalling everything the problem started occurring.

All of the movies that I had burned before the crash also work perfectly.

Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone offer some help? I've got 60 some gigs of Divx lying around on my HD that I really want to burn to CD to free up the space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mike
    clazy98@hotmail.com
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Is your Plextor drive an IDE or SCSI drive?

Comment

• clazymike
      • Mar 2002

IDE.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

If it was scsi, i could always say a few things about it. But since it's IDE...

Can you recall of any changes that have happened to your system after the system crash? It has to be related to that since the system was working happily before the crash. Have you installed all the proper drivers and Windows Service Pack 2?

Comment

• clazymike
          • Mar 2002

The only different possibility that I could consider is that the version of Nero is not exactly the same, but I've tried using older versions of Nero, but to no avail.

The drivers and firmware of my CD-R are the same. (I think.)

I have noticed this problem in the posts of a couple other users in this forum and others, but they never received any replies. Nobody has seen something like this before?

Comment

• Ndb
            • Mar 2002

Is your Nero a bundled version, as these only work with the brand/model of CD-R they are bundled with.

Also never put your writer and hdd on the same IDE chanel, but hey you didn't do that so it's a silly statement.

Make sure your WinAspi drivers are up to date and never run more than 1 CD Burning software on the same system unless you are using a swticher like Nero site has. I personally stick with just Nero.

Check you have the latest version of your IDE Bus Master drivers for your motherboard also, as this can cause loads of problems if there old and buggy.

Comment

Working...