Vegas and DVD Architect Studio editing questions.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • troublechuter1
    • Mar 2005

Vegas and DVD Architect Studio editing questions.

I am trying to use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Plus DVD 4.0 to do editing on home videos. I also have DVD Architect Studio.

My starting workflow is pretty simple; this workflow will eventually include more editing. But, for now...

1. Convert home-video tape to home-video DVD.
    2. Read (entire) home-video DVD to PC.
    3. Cut unwanted scenes.
    4. Burn edited home-video to DVD.

I thought that I would be able to use Vegas (and/or DVD Architect Studio) to import/copy/capture directly from the home-video DVD. But, I can't figure out a way to do it.

If I right-click on the home-video DVD, I see some .VOB files.

1. From what I can tell, Vegas won't import .VOB's so that I can edit the video that way. Does anyone know if Vegas and/or DVD Architect Studio will import .VOB's, and if so, how?

2. It looks like Vegas supports importing AVI, DV, SWF, and MPEG 1 & MPEG 2 files.

3. What Vegas method or other program can anyone recommend for converting .VOB to one/all of these formats, so that I can edit out the unwanted scenes?

Please provide link(s) to any applications/programs.

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If all you want to do is edit out scenes from your homebrewn DVD, this can EASILY be accomplished with "TMOPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc").

You can obtain a FULLY functional free 30 day trial version of this commercial program at:

TMPGEnc,DVD Author,tmpg,mpg,mpeg,encoder,TMPG,tmpgenc,Pegasys,TSUNAMI,authoring,digital,video,DVD-Video,AVI,converter,convert,movie,movies

Comment

• troublechuter1
      • Mar 2005

As I said, cutting scenes will be a starting place.

Thanks very much for the suggestion and link, Seta.

I already own Vegas at a cost of $100.00.

If I try TMOPGEnc DVD Author and then purchase it, I'm going to end up paying at least $68 more. And, if the description is correct, it'll probably end up being $89 more because I think I would need the AC-3 plug in.

I don't appreciate having purchased a $100 program only to find that I have to get another program just to get my video INTO Vegas to work on it. (But, that's my issue with Sony...and that's another story.)

Again, I'll ask my question...

Does anyone know of a way to use Vegas Movie Studio and/or DVD Architect Studio to accomplish the tasks I detailed in my posting?

Isn't there a small, RELIABLE (**HEAVY** emphasis on RELIABLE) preferrably freeware (i.e. not trialware) program out there that will simply, quicly let me convert from .VOB to MPG2 or one of the other formats I mentioned in my post so that I can use Vegas to do editing?

I'm new to this, so I don't know for sure if this is the best conversion path to follow. In my previous post, I noted the formats the Vegas supports:

AVI, DV, SWF, and MPEG 1 & MPEG 2,

in hopes that someone could make a suggestion of how better to do this.

I read in a few places that the best way would be to convert .VOB to .MPG2, and then (implied) import to Vegas, then edit. That made sense to me because, apparently the DVD "native" format (term is used loosely) is MPG2.

If it helps, my DVD burner is a Plextor PX-716UF. I downloaded an upgraded version of the Plextools software that came with it. Currently, I am unable to burn using Plextools, but it appears I can read with Plextools.

I won't rule out TMOPGEnc DVD Author. I have many home videos I'm trying to get converted to DVD. I need the process to be relatively quick. If the TMOPGEnc DVD Author ends up being the best way, then I'll reluctantly buy it. But, for now, it seems to me I ought to be able to use Vegas. At this point, I don't think I'll mind using a small, reliable program to convert the .VOB's (I would even consider purchasing an inexpensive, RELIABLE converter program.)

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...