X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scviyer
    • May 2004

avi help

Hello,

I have a file in avi format that I would like to use in a dvd I'm creating using DVDit 5.1.

Whenever I import the file it crashes DVDit. On closer inspection DVDit doesn't support DIVx avi files.

Now, my questions are - how can I tell what exactly is my file type (other than avi) and how do I go about converting it to a standard that DVDit can handle?

I'm happy to give you any other info should you need it.

Many Thanks -
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

a simple way is to load it into either gspot or virtualdubmod (both freeware)
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

You can use Tmpgenc Plus or similiar to convert to a compliant dvd mpeg 1/2 file. Use your favorite authoring program to author and make the necessary dvd files. There are some good all in one avi to dvd converters also.

Comment

• scviyer
        • May 2004

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have used gspot and have found that the file is - Xvid, 23.976 FPS, Size 512x384 and it says that the stream type is OpenDML AVI. Have I missed aything here?. Ah, it does say that Xvid codec is not installed!

I have then used vitualdubmod and get the message - 'couldn't locate decompressor for format 'xvid' (unknown). Virtualdub requires a video for windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by windows media player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct Stream Copy' is available for this video'

So, I guess both messages are telling me the same thing. So, how do I go about getting the correct codec, so I can make a start?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

"Have I missed aything here?. Ah, it does say that Xvid codec is not installed!"

one way to do it, is to do a google search for "xvid koepi's build 1.0.3"

install the codec on your pc
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• scviyer
            • May 2004

Hello,

Thanks for the info, www.doom9.org proved to be helpful given your spot of advice.

I've now got to work out how vdubmmod or tmpgenc plus works to do the coversion. If I get stuck - I'll get back to you thanks (I'm guessing I will probably have to).

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Comment

• scviyer
              • May 2004

Hello again,

Well, I've had some sucess so far, I'm now able to covert to MPEG 1 or 2 using TMPGenc and import them into DVDit without a hitch.

There are still 2 areas where sucess is still required!

Firstly, when I'm using TMPGenc it adds about 30mins of blackness to the end of my orginal avi file, so the original is say 10 mins long and the out put is 40 mins long (10mins of footage & 30 mins of blackness).

Secondly, I'm just not getting any sound when I import the file into DVDit, or even try playing it through Window Media Player. DVDit can handle .mp1, .mp2, .mpa, .mp3, wav + others. But I just can't seem to select the correct setting in TMPGenc to get it to import correctly.

Any help or clues?

Comment

• scviyer
                • May 2004

Ah,

Just thought of one other part of the puzzle. when I use gspot the audio part is listed as - MPEG -1 Layer 3 136kb/s 44.1Hz .

So is that TMPGEnc doesn't work with MP3 format. If so what options do I have?

Another thing - when I'm doing a preview of the original file in TMPGEnc I don't hear any sound.

I hope that this is enough for you to guide me.

Ta

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"the audio part is listed as - MPEG -1 Layer 3 136kb/s 44.1Hz ."

DVD format requires audio of 48,000Hz

"So is that TMPGEnc doesn't work with MP3 format."

No - TMPGEnc will gladly accept and process "CBR" (Constant Bitrate) .MP3 audio. It will not, however, properly process "VBR" (Variable Bitrate) .MP3 audio.

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio for use with TMPGEnc

Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK". Rightclick on the audiostream again, then select "Compression" and make certain it is set to "No compression (PCM)"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save .AVI with a new filename

Comment

• scviyer
                    • May 2004

Hello Setarip thanks for the info. Nice one, I have finally managed to get it sorted. Many Thanks.

In fact I now have 2 methods your way and

using virtualdub - out put a audio only file (wav) very much the same way as your method and then in TMPGEnc specify the original avi file as the video and the wav as the audio.

Both methods work well.

Anyway - Thank you.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Hello Setarip thanks for the info."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

to scviyer

"Hello,

Thanks for the info, www.doom9.org proved to be helpful given your spot of advice.

I've now got to work out how vdubmmod or tmpgenc plus works to do the coversion. If I get stuck - I'll get back to you thanks (I'm guessing I will probably have to).

Anyway, thanks for the advice."

your welcome.

regarding that blackness. 2 things you can do, use "source range"
                        and set the start/end frames manually. or/in addition to raise the "direct show multimedia file reader" to priority 2 in environmental settings. it works for me
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

• scviyer
                          • May 2004

Evening Columbo999 (well it is here anyway!)

I had been sorting it out with the start / end function in my authoring software. This worked OK but was a bit of a pain.

I wondered just the other day if I could do something similar within TMPGEnc - and you have just confirmed it. I've just looked at the software and will give it a whirl this weekend.

Many Thanks for your advice.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

to scviyer

anytime this forum and also videohelp.com have very good guides for tmpgenc. goodluck
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...