Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ducatisto
    • May 2005

Conversion out of sync

Firstly, a warm hello to all at this great site and forum, a wealth of knowledge for sure. But, I have a problem........

I have an avi file which plays fine on the PC but after some quick tuition I felt able to go ahead and convert it to DVD using WinAVI. Everything went flawlessly I thought until I played the DVD, the video was jerky and the audio was way out of sync with the video, how would that happen when the AVI was fine? Believe me when I have searched and searched but nothing seems to point to what I need to do to overcome this problem.

Duca
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

WinAVI has been known to cause that problem.

You can try this method:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - You can use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this.

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish).

**If the combined file size of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink to compress it down to fit on your recordable media.

If your operating system (O/S) is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode - Tutorial Located here on how to do this: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...453#post221453

TMPGEnc - http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_download.html

TMPGEnc DVD Author - http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To Ducatisto

Welcome to the Digital Video Forums of Digital Digest

In order to possibly help determine the cause of your poor conversion results:

1) Load the original .AVI file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

Winavi although easy to use IMO isn't the best program to use. IME when converting an avi the audio goes out of sync due to changing the framerate. Use a better encoder as "jmet" stated and also do as "setarip" stated and post a screenshot so we can make sure the video in question is ok. Then we will be able to give you better info.

Comment

• Ducatisto
          • May 2005

Well as time is a bit tight with work and running my home I have only tried one option so far and that is to encode the avi with TMPGEnc and it left a file with no sound? I do not have VirtualDub so I have as yet not tried that option. I am at a loss though when you spend money on a program (WINAvi) and it does not do what it says on the tin, well not well at all anyhow.

Thanks for the replies and the welcome, I am just getting into editing and although it is extremely interesting it seems a tad daunting to me at the moment

Duca

Comment

• Ducatisto
            • May 2005

Re: To Ducatisto

Originally posted by setarip
            Welcome to the Digital Video Forums of Digital Digest

In order to possibly help determine the cause of your poor conversion results:

1) Load the original .AVI file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box
            I have attached a pic of the info box regarding my offending AVI file.
            Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"to encode the avi with TMPGEnc and it left a file with no sound?"

Your .AVI contains a Variable Bitrate ("VBR") .MP3 audiostream, that TMPGEnc cannot process properly.

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio for use with TMPGEnc:

Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK". Rightclick on the audiostream again, then select "Compression" and make certain it is set to "No compression (PCM)"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save .AVI with a new filename

Comment

Working...