Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BriansNSane
    • May 2005

Philips DVP 642???

Does this thing playback Xvid as well?I just received mine today.I converted some ogm and matroska files as an avi and i didnt want to read them.do i need to save them back as a matroska or ogm(original file name)for the Philips DVP 642 to read them?Or does it not playback xvid at all?if so How would I go about making it a format that it will read as a data disc?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Does this thing playback Xvid as well?"

Yes it does - but if you carefully read the documentation, you'll see that it cannot process XviD files that include "QPEL" processing...

Comment

• BriansNSane
      • May 2005

so in virtualdubmod.I would open the ogm or matroska file and edit it the way i need to(disable subs or other audio stream so on and so forth)then save it back as whatever the original file was and burn as data on a dvd?I'm still curious why it didnt want to read the files when i saved them as an avi.

Comment

• BriansNSane
        • May 2005

I'm having alot of trouble trying to make this work.Ive tried everything and I cant seem to make it read.How exactly do you convert your xvid/divx to avi(the program you use) for your same model??

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

I create ONLY DivX-compressed .AVIs, not XviD-compressed .AVIs.

None of my DivX-compressed .AVis require any kind of conversion in order to play on the Philips DVP 642...

All of my DivX-compressed .AVIs contain CBR (Constant Bitrate) .MP3 audiostreams and DivX v.3.11 videostreams...

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

You might want to check here in the dvd players section for dvd/cd media compatibility withy the problems you're having. www.videohelp.com. I have two Philips dvp642 and the one won't play verbatim +rw dvd's and the other will. Same firmware just won't play them.

Comment

• BriansNSane
              • May 2005

I think its the matroska and ogm files that are being the problem.I used virtualdubmod to convert to avi and there was no audio at all and the video played on pc and it wouldnt play in my dvp642.It was recognized as an mpeg4 but when it played there was no video or audio and the numbers on the front (hours,minutes and seconds)were moving very fast.

2nd attempt
              I read that you needed to seperate the audio from the file and save as mp3 and then convert the video to avi and rejoin.I did it this method and the audio and video played on the pc perfectly but the same thing in my philips dvp642 no audio or video and the video time was moving very rapidly through.still recognized it as an mpeg4 though so I'm guessing It's the video not converting properly.

Comment

• ChristianHJW
                matroska project member
                • May 2003

if you accept an advice from an old Pro :

If you are 'getting' many different movies from many different sources, just put the crappy thing on ebay and get a multimedia PC instead ( a nice barebone or the like ), or wait for the new µC Linux based devices to arrive next year.

If you are making your own movies, use only MP3 CBR or AC3 for the audio and disable all advanced encoding features in XviD encoder, or use DivX encoder.

Christian
                matroska project admin
                Support the future of audio and video encoding, matroska as open standard container format and Gstreamer as open source, x-platform multimedia platform - Contact us on Corecodec, the concentric circles of audio and video, or on IRC.CORECODEC.COM #matroska ; for best viewing matroska file use The Core Media Player ( TCMP )

Comment

Working...