X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dumdedum
    • Feb 2004

AVI only sound no video in mediaplayer 10 - please help

Hi everyone,
    For some reason when I play .avi files in mediaplayer 10 I only get a sound but no video. It is very frustrating. Did anyone go through this?
    Any solution or fix?

Also, for some .avi files, it will play but they look like they have been squashed. I'm not kidding. It looks distorted, like there was someone pushing from the top and bottom while the movie is playing

What the hell is wrong with my mediaplayer installation? Or is this a microsoft "issue"?
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

do you have the ffddshow filter installed? who created the avi's? are you certain they are not bad? you should posrt a screen shot of the file information using vdub or gspot....
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

sounds like a codec issue. do as columbo stated to verify the correct codec/s are installed on your system. the newest version of Gspot will render your video file and play it in a window.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

your video is likely being decoded by a (relatively) poor playback filter, and thus is displayed at an incorrect aspect ratio. solution:

as columbo mentioned, just download & install the lastes (alpha) version of "ffdshow".

if no improvement, it is likely that your videos are just encoded that way...
        Last edited by anonymez; 9 Jun 2005, 09:39 AM.
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Jason1701
          • Sep 2006

Similar Problem

I have a similar problem I cant play some avi files BUT I have played them before so something has changed but I'm not sure what it is as I haven’t installed any new codec’s or players that might have caused a problem and all the avi files are same bit rate everything I used Gspot and exported the info if you see anything wrong I would appreciate the help

Commercials.-.SuperBowl.39.-.Mustang.Convertible.(osloskop.net).avi C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Superbowl Commercials!!!!!!\Commercials.-.SuperBowl.39.-.Mustang.Convertible.(osloskop.net).avi 10,389,504 AVI(.AVI) OpenDML (AVI v2.0), 33 496 Split 0 0 1 DX50/divx DivX 5.0 Codec(s) are Installed 00:01:00 1800 0.200 608 342 29.971 29.971 1247 MPEG-4 B-VOP N-VOP 1.778 .
          Last edited by Jason1701; 19 Sep 2006, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

download & install ffdshow http://www.x264.nl or ffdshow tryouts at sourceforge

Comment

• dumdedum
              • Feb 2004

Originally Posted by anonymez
              download & install ffdshow http://www.x264.nl or ffdshow tryouts at sourceforge
              I installed it. Now what?

What does it do? How do I use it?

It looks very complicated and I'm scared of making any changes that might screw up my laptop...

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

just play your file

Comment

Working...