• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shulthise
    Professional Amateur
    • May 2003

Seeking codecs/software updates for portable multimedia player

Hey all,

I'm sorry if this thread seems a little bit foreign to this forum. Believe my I have sought help on the web with the issue below, but avail. This forum, for now, is the last chance I have for a good answer.
    So, here goes-

I have recently purchased the Archos AV 420 portable multimedia player/recorder.
    I am somewhat disappointed with the limited number of file formats and codecs it is able to play. Most of the AVI (DivX) files I uploaded to the device we’re not playable, no GIF, no WMV, etc, etc, etc.
    I checked up the Archos website and found no available updates other than the firmware (2.xxxx to 3.xxxx) which only adds MS DRM “capabilities” (yeah, sure... more like prison window bars.)

Anyway, I am desperately looking for codecs, software, or alternative OS I can load to enhance or replace the current software.
    Are any of you guys familiar with such updates ?

To those of you who updated the Archos AV 420 to firmware 3.xxx – Is it now able to play WMV 7, 8 and 9 ?

ALSO - The device I bought is only a few days old! I would really like to upgrade it to the PMA version of the device. Do you know of any good deals, or ready to trade ?

Thanks!
Working...