Seriously hating Premiere, Xvid, and Windows...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LunarCrystal
    • Jun 2005

Seriously hating Premiere, Xvid, and Windows...

So here's my problem.

I can't edit my .avi files. Why? Probably because windows sucks. I've used Adobe premiere 5.5, 6.0 and 7 pro . . . They all do the same thing. I can import the file just fine, but when it comes to dropping into the time line and watching the video - all black. No sound. Nothing! And it is bloody infuriating!

Wanna know something else? Window Movie Maker won't even work! I can import the file, but drop it in the time line and it crashes... Oops, sorry, we have an error, time to close! Same thing in Vegas Movie Editor....

So, a little info I suppose? I made the .avi files myself. Ripped the DVD with DVD decrypter, then compressed it using AutoGK into a 700 meg file with XviD. In troubleshooting, I've determined that the problem lies also with DivX 5 (with AutoGK you can only choose to compress as XviD or DivX 5).

Small files, large files - as long as they're the above codecs, nothing works. Other codecs seem to work. And MPEGs are just stupidly choppy.

I'd like to be able to edit my .avi's now. Please, someone, for all that is good and holy - help me! I've spent the last 12 hours poring over usless FAQs and Forums without so much as a clue towards solving my problem. I've only got 2 working brain cells left... Speaking - in - fragmented - sentences...

Toodles,
    LunarCrystal
  • howndawg
    • Feb 2005

I will attempt to explain what's happened, not give you suggestions on how to fix it (not allowed??????). Just read between the lines.

It sounds like the CODEC you are using has not been designed to be fully AVI compliant. When an AVI type codec is installed into the Windows world, it must have certain attributes (defined by Microsoft AVI spec) to make it 'portable' to all applications that may use it, including Adobe Premiere. Just because some one has designated the codec as an AVI type doesn't mean they followed the rules in creating it. All AVI based codec's in the Windows world must have interfaces that talk to the software layers above and below it, to make it seamlessly talk to a number of third party hardware and software products. Nuff said.

Bottom line. The codec you used to create your video either won't register properly or will only work in the tools that created it, in other words it will only work in its own proprietary world.

I don't know about the AutoGK codec, but it looks like it was not meant to be used as a plug-in by vendors like Adobe. If the CODEC does not show up in the supported CODEC list in tools like Premiere, the video file will just not load and you will see black. The audio could also suffer from the same fate, but for different reasons. Can't read the video, then usually can't read the audio depending on how the audio tracks are interleaved in the file or is dependant on the video, or the audio codec is not supported.

Comment

• LunarCrystal
      • Jun 2005

Ah! I figured it out... I had way too many codecs, first of all. The video was fine. Just had to uninstall a million codec packs...

Then once I drop it into adobe, I needed to render the work area, or preview it.

After that, all was well...

Toodles,
      LunarCrystal

Comment

• larkineric
        • Jun 2005

millions of codec packs?

Merciful heaven, LunarCrystal, you had the precise problem I am having now, but I do not understand your solution... Would you mind explaining it a little further? I did the same thing you did: DVD cracked with DVDDecrypter, converted with AutoGK, plays fine in Clip Window (Premiere 6.0), but refuses to cooperate in the Timeline/Monitor. I've gotten as far as having video with no audio, but... so what. I'm more or less new to editing, so any insight at all would be more than I have now. Thank you

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

this is a perfect example how codec packs can really cause alot of greif.
          one should only have what codecs are needed for their files.
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• robbo2099
            • Jul 2005

No audio in Premiere 6.5 when working on Timeline

Did anyone work out a solution to this? -- have converted a VOD DVD file to AVI, imported the AVI clip to Premiere 6.5. (NTSC w/ 44.1 audio)The audio plays fine when played from the clip bin or from the Clip player, but as soon as it is put on the Timeline, no audio. Other clips all play fine from the Timeline, only this one doesn't play. Oddly, even though the audio waveform shows as flat (eg no audio) when the clip is played in the bin previewer, it still plays fine. It's only when the clip is moved to the Timeline does it fail to play. Is there a setting somewhere that may be preventing this particular clip from playing on the Timeline? Thanks.

Comment

• larkineric
              • Jun 2005

If you are using Gordian Knot....
              what I had to do was change the audio setting when I converted to AVI. In "Advanced Settings" I changed the audio from "auto" to "CBR MP3".
              I can't tell you why that worked or what it means, but once I did that, I had audio to go with my video in the Moniter window/Timeline.
              Anyway, give it a shot...

Comment

• GDB
                • Jul 2005

My first post here.

I'm having same trouble with threadstarter, but I haven't found the solution yet

1. Captured raw AVI file from a DV camera
                2. Edited using Adobe Premiere Pro, exported video encoded in XviD
                3. Exported audio to WAV
                4. Used Besweet to convert to MP3
                5. Mux XviD with MP3 using Nandub
                6. The resulting file, let's call it final.avi, is fine as it is

Now that I want to edit it back in Adobe Premiere Pro, I'm seeing black and no audio. I've tried rendering the work area, still black.

HELP PLEASE!!!! Unlike ripping from DVDs or what not, my only source, final.avi, is irreplace-able, as I have long deleted the original DV tape.

EDIT: I only use Gordian Knot's codec pack and the utility tools, THAT IS IT. I have just done a clean reinstall recently so I doubt there are other interfering codecs that I have forgotten.

Comment

• GDB
                  • Jul 2005

Alright, I found the solution:

1. Change the fourCC code of the XviD file to "DIVX" instead of "XVID"
                  2. As pointed out earlier, the MP3 stream must be in "CBR" instead of "VBR"

That is all to it! Premiere Pro will open all my XviD home-made clips off DV tape after doing the above.

Oh but make sure you do have Divx codec. I use the 5.2.1 that came with GordianKnot codec pack.

Comment

• Doc. Caliban
                    The Man of Bronze
                    • Dec 2005

I'll try resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one.

I now pretty much nothing about this stuff, so please bear with me.

I'm using Adobe Premier Pro v1.5 and I have the latest (as of today) DIVX codec installed.

I am trying to take a small clip out of a movie that I have which is in AVI format and has the following audio properties:

Rate: 48k
                    Sample size: 16 bits
                    Compatible compressor: MPEG Layer-3 Codec
                    Compression ratio is 5.09:1

I have the same problem of audio not playing once it's in the timeline.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Doc

Comment

Working...