Sync issue, haven't found threads with same..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newb5000
    • Jul 2005

Yeah, that was my very first thought, but that person cannot be reached, hence my post on these forums.

Anyway, I guess it's like trying to push your car to 200km/h when the maximum is only 120km/h. I think I'll accept the fact that divx / xvid movies won't work on this PC.

Thanks for the help and for taking the time to reply to my posts.

Comment

• newb5000
      • Jul 2005

Well well...

I decided to give it one last try before giving up and guess what...it was the antivirus software that was installed. Once disabled (all antivirus modules using Ctrl+Alt+Delete) the avi files played flawlessly.

What a wonderful day.

Comment

• Nathan323
        • Jul 2005

Gday mate.. what AV software did u have? I have Norton AV 2003.

Also, I have xvid installed, but dont know if its running (when I run a program called Sherlock [http://www.updatexp.com/sherlock-codec-detective.html] it doesn't actually find it..

Do u have any ideas on this?

Thanks, Nathan

Comment

• newb5000
          • Jul 2005

Hi Nathan,

I have McAfee VirusScan installed. I had to completely disable it in order to play the files successfully. By 'completely' I mean first disabling Auto Protect, then exiting Security Center, then killing all proccesses that start with 'mc'. If I don't follow this exact procedure, the autoprotect somehow remains in memory and starts scanning each file I select in Windows Explorer. That's what causes the heavy CPU load in my opinion and it must be disabled.

I'm using BSPlayer to play the files. I uninstalled all xvid and divx codecs and installed ffdshow since it has all the codecs in one bundle. GSpot doesn't detect the ffdshow codecs, but they work fine when trying to play a file.

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
          I should also mention that I also close all other programs like Skype and ICQ . The only 3 processes that I have running before I try to play a movie is Explorer, Systray and the sound card software (Windows 98).
          Last edited by newb5000; 20 Jul 2005, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...