Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babyblueut
    • Jul 2005

dvd pauses and pixels at end

ok so here it is, hope this is the right place to ask, i have been puting together some dvds using a combination of programs, tmpgenc dvd author, clone dvd and nero, when i finally burn to a disc (4X) it will play fine up till the last half hour to an hour, then it will pause , stop and pixelate (right word?) and even freeze up my player (stand alone, several models) but if i take that same disc and make a copy of it (even with same program i burned it with (at 4x) and same media) the copy works just fine, any ideas?? really dont want to have to make two of everything i do just to get one good copy, this has done this on cheap media as well as expencive, any help would be great, if you need more info let me know
    thanks
    Sandy
    Last edited by babyblueut; 16 Jul 2005, 11:22 AM. Reason: better title
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

see if you can burn at 2x, sounds just like you haven't found the right media
    what is the make and model# of your player that is causing the skipping?
    another good idea is to shorten the length of the file a bit so it doesn't have to burn right to the edge where media problems usualy are and fingerprints etc.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• babyblueut
      • Jul 2005

i am using a Liton 4x as well as an Aopen 16x DL, does it on both drives, does it more with the compusa cheap discs but also does it on the memorex 4, 8 and 16x disc. i will try the slower speed, not quite sure how to make the file smaller as i have already compressed it using clone dvd to make i fit on a disc, thanks for the reply, any more input would be helpful

Sandy

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

" more with the compusa cheap discs but also does it on the memorex 4, 8 and 16x disc."

Although there are a few exceptions, most posters have indicated poor results with each media you mention. It is VERY typical of poor quality media to result in freezing and pixelation toward the end of the movie - which usually coincides with the outer edge of the media. You may want to try higher quality media...

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips or freezes from the middle toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:
          • Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)
          • How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

Comment

Working...