X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve248
    • Jul 2005

Need help to lower fps to make video file smaller for view on a PC

Hi,

Need help reduce video file from Sony mini DV tape and make it smaller enough and viewable on a PC.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><o></o>

<o></o>
    </P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

The purpose - church Sunday school or other talks.<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

The usage - produce the video files that are small for download to view on a computer, using regular application, such as Medial Player, Real One etc.<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

At the church, I taped the screen of a LCD projector when the speaker uses the PC to show PowerPoint slide presentation. The speaker occasionally points to various parts of the screen when talking.<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

I used Pinnacle Studio 8.1 to capture the tape into .avi file. The file is huge, about 200MB/minutes, or 19GB for a 90 minute talk when I taped in LP speed.<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

The .avi file is too big for me to put on the server and for others to download and view on their PC.<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

However, I heard that I can produce the video file with slower frame rate such as 1 or 2 fps, and keep the same audio sample rate and video resolution (such as 720 X 480), the output file size would be reduced to roughly to 2 / 29 (i.e. if 2 fps on the new file, and the tape is on standard 29-something fps). The low fps has no visual effects because the video camera pont to the steady PowerPoint slide, and occasionally the speaker’s hand point to the screen anyway.<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P>

</P>

Thanks for the help.<o></o></P>

</P>

<o></o></P></FONT>
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

fps won't won't make the avi smaller. the only way to make a file smaller is to lower the bitrate. if you want to retain the avi container I would use xvid and virtualdub mpeg2 (both free) to compress the video file. with 90 minutes you should be able to retain good to excellent quality at app. 900k/bps bitrate. you might want to resize the video to 640x480 4:3 or 640x352 16:9. I use 640x352 as this is a true 16:9 resolution

Comment

Working...