Clear All
  • DiGGeR
    • Jan 2002

Asf 2 Avi?

can i convert? yes? how? wich program? steps to follow =D
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Use the older v.1.3 of VirtualDub, which accepts .ASF for input and conversion to .AVI.

Comment

• KlingonAgent
      • Jan 2002

Hi setarip - long time, no chat.

Well, I too would love to be able to convert the odd asf file to something more useful. I visited the articles section here (ASF To AVI Conversion Guide 1.0), and I can get the necessary MS MPEG-4 VKI Codec from the software section, but not the older VirtualDub 1.3c. Yes, I guess MS threatened to feed VD's author to the fishes if he didn't remove asf support (a crummy format anyway if you ask me), because my newer version of VD does indeed give me an error message when loading asf files.

There's another more convoluted way to do it I think, using WMP 7, but frankly, I don't want that particular proprietary puppy anywhere near my computer.

If I try to download VirtualDub 1.3c from the software section here, I get a popup window saying, "Authentication Required" - site: www.dvd-digest.tv. How to get around this (?)

I have an older version of Streambox VCR installed, and it allows me to capture streaming asf files which wouldn't normally be capture-able, and I just thought it might be nice to be able to get them to an avi, and then to an mpeg-1, so I could burn 'em on a vcd.

Also, TMPEGEnc doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with my (downloaded) asf's either. (See? I told you it was a crummy format). TMP will invariable gag on the asfs after a few minutes'-worth of encoding.

Thoughts?

Mostest-Bestest-Regards,

-- KlingonAgent --

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To KlingonAgent

You can download an ASF modifed version of VirtualDub v.1.4 from:

Ignore that outdated guide. There is absolutely no need for that particular codec, as long as you've already got one of the DivX codecs installed. It's as simple as input and output (with both "Video" and "Audio" set to "Direct Stream Copying") to convert from .ASF to DibX-compressed .AVI...

Comment

• KlingonAgent
          • Jan 2002

EXCELLENT !!!!

"Two Thumbs UP" setarip! I can see why they call you the 'Overlord' ! <g>

I will do exactly as you say, right away. Yeah, I must have a coupla dozen divx codecs installed in there somewhere (including Divx 5.x which looks kinda bleary to my eyes), so I'll just go for the modified VirtualDub.

*Thank You*, big guy!

Comment

• KlingonAgent
            • Jan 2002

Yikes !!

When clicking on your link, setarip, I still get a pop up window asking for a Username and Password. Oh poo.....

(I'll try to manually work around the pop-up).

-- K.A. --

Comment

• KlingonAgent
              • Jan 2002

01: Manually keying-in the URL "http://www.dvd-digest.tv/downloads/files/virtualdub/VirtualDub14c-asf.zip", even with DAP (Download Accelerator), yields the pop-up window.

02: Direct visit to download page, "http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/virtualdub.html", for modified file, "VirtualDub14c-asf.zip" (both mirrors), also yields pop-up window.

I have neither a UserName or PassWord. (?).

This is the sort of "setaback" (pun) that may force me back on the alcohol again. (gg)

(Just joking)

Mike -- K.A. --

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To KlingonAgent

I don't get any such popups or password requests when clicking on the url I gave you.

Perhaps you've got a virus on your system - or someone's broken in and is trying to redirect your activity.

Be that as it may, just go to this page and scroll down to the 1.4ASF link - choose either mirror site listed:

An open source DVD/MPEG/AVI conversion and editing tools

If you once again see any popups/password requests, etc, you've got a problem on your system...

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

I'm unsure but you may find the software at vcd-help.com

Alternatively, screen capture software (visit vcd-help.com) such as EO Video, Snag-it, and Camtasia will allow you to convert asf to the format of your choice.

Comment

• KlingonAgent
                    • Jan 2002

One Of Life's Little Mysteries I Guess

Batman: Thank you for the alternative suggestions. I will check them out.

Setarip: You may be right, there *could* be some undetected "flaw" on my system (but I don't think so). My system (Win-98) works quite well in all other respects. I have noticed no anomalties.

Your link (thank you), which I've already tried, unfortunately produces this screen when I click-on either mirror:

(File attachment-.gif image)

I'll contact my lawyers immediately.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"(File attachment-.gif image)"

Your effort to upload the .GIF didn't work... but, regardless, no one else at these forums has had any such problems downloading from that site.

Just for the heck of it, why don't you try downloading an entirely different piece of software from the same site? And then try downloading any software from any other (unrelated) site.

Comment

• KlingonAgent
                        • Jan 2002

Yeah, I noticed that too, right after I (supposedly) attached the screenshot.

Story of my life.......

It says in here, I can attach a pic if it's 102,400 bytes or less. The screenshot .gif I made (showing the pop-up window I refer to while on the software download page), is only 53,383 bytes.

Lemme try again........ If it doesn't work, well...... (grrrrrrr)

Hmmmmm...... there's no icon here in this message-composition window to indicate that I just browsed & found the .gif, and asked for it's inclusion.

OK, wait a sec...... I'll 'preview' this post to see if it shows up......

Nooooop, it doesn't show up in the preview -- either the pic OR a file-attachment icon or smiley or whatever, -- showing that there *is* a small file attachment.

No time right now to iron it out..... maybe the forum board here is a tad flakey.

(Maybe that'll garner a response) tee-hee .

Comment

• KlingonAgent
                          • Jan 2002

UPDATE:

You're right setarip - seems I've got me a problem. (nothing new there).

Took your advice -- experimentally tried to download 4 files - all gave the popup window, a picture of which this board (seemingly) won't allow me to attach.

virdubapp14c.zip = popup window
                          VirtualDub_AC3.zip = popup window
                          VirtualDub_148_AC3.zip = popup window
                          VirtualDubPack = popup window

I think there's some cold beer in the fridge though.....

Ta.

OH! OH! Wait a sec before I grab that beer !

Lemme try to *Insert* that friggen' .gif instead of attaching it......

[IMG]c:\gws\POP-UP.GIF[/IMG]

(Noooop.....no picture in preview window)

I -- (that would be me)
                          Now -- (as of this time)
                          Give -- (as in 'cede')
                          Up -- (going down to the ridge now)

'Nite.

Comment

• Tetsu
                            • May 2002

I've got those files already:

VirualDub 1_4c
                            ttp://www.irradiance.net/NewStuff/So...alDub-1_4c.zip

and

VirtualDub14c_asf

or you can download Virtual 1.3 :

I can open an asf file by VirtualDub now, but the problem is I just can convert the first second of the asf file . I'm not sure that's because my remaining storage was just 200MB or there's problem with VirtualDub(tried both 1.4c and 1.3)

Someone tries, and tell me why , please.

If there's any problem with MP42, just download this:

Comment

Working...