Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WrineX
    • Mar 2002

DIVX PLSYER STANDALONE !!! - like dvd

well i read an article about creating you own standalone divx player wel i really would like to do that, but there's one prob i lost the link so for now i really need the link or help me with some questions

What kinda computer do you have to have to play divx ?

on the site they said an 486 can play it but i don't remmember the type DX BX 66 ?

is there a minimum of memory and and maybe video card

Hope somebody can help me because i would love to create one but ofcourse at a verry low cost, if it's expensive i could just put an verry new computer next to my tv

ThX
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Stand-alone player as in like a DVD or VHS player? That would be an interesting thing to have.

Or were you implying the use of a computer system exclusively for DivX playback? If so, I have to say a 486 is woefully inadequate for this, as even 300MHz systems are struggling at this already. A 450-500MHz system should be the minimum requirement for CPU speed.

Comment

• StumdoeS
      • Mar 2002

Why not include the DivX format as part of shipped DVD players?

Todays DVD Players handel DVD CDR CDRW MP3 MP2 and so much more... How hard can it be?

I know im still waiting

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Most probably because DivX takes more CPU power to process, which may be a challenge to the hardware manufacturers (because it adds another layer of complexity in the engineering). Also, it is one thing to have the free DivX codec for us, the average users, to download and use. It is another matter to have it shipped and hard-coded in commercial products.

Comment

• WrineX
          • Mar 2002

the dvd industrie adn especially the movie industrie is not gona agree with an DIvX chip included in the dvd players but there is an new card for divx playback that makes it easy to play divx on a slow system costs around the 100 $ so it;'s to much wel there are systems p 133 that can handle the divx but there are also systems that can't

I realy would like to build something used to build speakers now something else so ill gho to the botton of this to find it out , to get the cheapest parts and make an nice standalone

Comment

Working...