Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sgaileach1
    • Aug 2005

Error Appending same-framerate AVI in VirtualDub

I am attempting to create a custom splash intro to an AVI movie I encoded from a foreign DVD film that I own. It basically just fades in a logo and some info about who provided the custom translation subtitles (iow not a direct sub-rip.) I am no encoding guru myself however, and I am having some trouble; specifically with getting the frame rates to match up for a VirtualDub append process.

After I create the splash at the same resolution and frame rate as the movie I encoded, and add a stream containing a silent audio track encoded at the same bitrate as the one I did for the movie, I use DivX with the exact same settings to encode them to an AVI file. It opens fine in VDub, however when I attempt to append the movie itself to this I get the message:

“Cannot append segment “C:\Temp\movie.avi”: The video streams have different sampling rates (23.97599 vs. 23.97602)

That seems like such a minor discrepancy, there should just be a way to tell it to ignore.

Is there any way to get this to work in VirtualDub, or any other program for that matter which will not compromise the integrity of the original movie file?
    Last edited by Sgaileach1; 12 Aug 2005, 12:29 PM.
  • Sgaileach1
    • Aug 2005

What about a program that looks at a selected AVI and re-encodes another in such a way that forces it to be compatible?

Comment

• Sgaileach1
      • Aug 2005

OK, this is really frustrating. I even went so far as to create separate video and audio streams, re-encoded the video framerate manually to 23.97602 using VirtualDub, re-encoded the audio from and to the exact same formats I used for the movie, then joined them by compressing to AVI using the exact same DivX settings I did for the movie, and still its saying the difference is 23.97622 vs. 23.97602.

Can anyone help?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

try to re-encode the one file to the same rate as the other under "video" , "framerate" , "frame rate conversion" and manually enter the value in "change to fps" so it is the same as the one to which it is to be joined.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Sgaileach1
          • Aug 2005

Sorry if I wasn't too clear before, but that is exactly what I just tried!

I double-checked that I hadn't simply typed in the wrong value, but after doing just as you say it still says the output is 23.97622, vs. 23.97602 for the movie.

Believe it or not, I actually went so far as to create an actual standard compliant .m2v DVD out of just this one file after re-encoding the audio to .ac3. I then used the same program to rip the vob that I did for the main movie, the same program to demux the video and audio (DGIndex), and then the same program to re-convert the audio to WAV (PX3Convert) which I then re-encoded yet again to the same bitrate as the movie MP3 track using LAME.

After ALL that, everything done EXACTLY the same as how I got all the files for the movie, it now says they mismatch 29.97003 vs. 23.97602.

This shouldn't be so troublesome.

Thanks for the reply though.
          Last edited by Sgaileach1; 12 Aug 2005, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

ok, so the 2 files you have now and you just simply want to join them to put on dvd?
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Sgaileach1
              • Aug 2005

Well no, not exactly. I have two AVI files now, both of which SHOULD be exactly the same encoding, and I want to join them into one single AVI, without compromising the quality (iow without re-processing) the larger movie file itself.

Perhaps this might help. The image on the left is the small lead-in file, and the one on the right is the large movie file I am trying to append to it. Perhaps someone will notice what is wrong, and be able to tell me what program I can use to change the specific issue with the smaller lead-in file.

Error I get trying to append the file on the right to the one on the left:

Cannot append segment “C:\Temp\movie.avi”: The video streams have different sampling rates (23.97622 vs. 23.97602)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

it appears to me that the file on the left(small one) has CBR audio, while the other is VBR....
                Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...