Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gl7
    • Apr 2008

How i resolve my B/W problem

Long story short, having the B/W problem with my Nvidia 8400 GS, found out the free cable causing the problem. after replace with my old cable free with Winfast 6600 which is more costly last time, the color come back, the Winfast's cable is looked more sophisticated.
    Even though the pins layout was different at the 3th row, it still can plug in nicely.
    The Winfast's cable can be easily buy from computer cable shop which i saw last time.

Photo 1 is the free cable with the Gigabyte 8400 Video card

Photo 2 is the free cable pins closeup with the Gigabyte 8400 Video card

Photo 3 is the free cable with Winfast 6600 old video card

Photo 5 is the free cable pins closeup with Winfast 6600 old video card

Photo 6 is the 8400 video card
    Attached Files

Comment

• gl7
      • Apr 2008

This is the photo 6 (max 5 attachments previous post)

Another 2 photos showing B/W display and color display.
      One things i found out, if i connect with Winfast's cable, the system will detect correctly the Composite cable. If i connect with Gigabyte's cable, the system keep showing "S-Video" instead of "composite".
      Since the Winfast's cable have a s-video connector, i also try connect the Gigabyte's cable to it and let system detect, but it still having B/W only.
      I did not try the old driver and the thin wire method, but since this give me fast solution. i just stop other testing due to laziness and time.
      Hope this give clues to others. Thank you.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by gl7; 27 Apr 2008, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• momay
        • May 2008

ok. made this solution to work. i now have display and in color. however, the only refresh rate available are 29hz and 30hz. with 30hz the nvidia driver crashes. but with 29hz the picture quality not that good. i know that my crt tv is capable of 59/60 hz. but it is not showing in the modes available for the display.

anyone here having the same refresh rates like mine. what is your solution?

Originally Posted by vehemence
        fixed it using a solution i found on a random forum somewhere (can't remember which one), which is to wrap a little wire around the top 2 connectors (with the plastic plug bit at the bottom) on the svhs cable, joining them together. apparently this is the difference between svhs and composite or something. pretty dodgy, but it works ok now so i'm gonna leave it alone. now i can play dawn of war on my tv! yay!

Comment

• bumduck
          • Jul 2008

Cheers for that mate, this has been drivin' me crazy for ages. Problem solved.

Comment

• nim
            • Aug 2008

complete diferent solution

I had the same problem with my new geforce 7600 gs.
            I spent several hours reading the forums and tried all the solutions.
            Nothing! Same B/W screen! What the ....!
            But then in one of meaningless attempts I suddenly did it!!!!
            Question was how?
            Then I realise that I forgot to insert the audio Jack into the computer.
            When I did - the result was B/W again.
            Then I start playing with cables until I realise that the problem is in fact in TV.
            And here is the solution - use the audio cabels for L/R channels, but dont link the ground with Scart - use pins 2 and 6, but leave pin 4 intact.
            And that is all. Result is perfect colour. The most weird thing is that this don't affect the quality of the sound. It appears that TV is taking it's ground from pin 19 - ground of video signal.
            OH , I forgot to tell you that I was trying to build my own cable s-video + audio to SCART. The TV is 15 years old SAMSUNG, but I tried the cable on other TVs.
            It works.
            I know that this is not the discovery of the century, but I realy hope that my decison will actually help somebody to do the trick.

Comment

• Bobfuscation
              • Aug 2008

I would like to say thanks to vehemence and anyone else that suggested the wire in the cable trick, as i finally got colour back after breaking my svideo->composite cable and my new cable only showing black and white after the windows logo screen.

Having spent 2 days playing with drivers, as i got colour as an image clone when i uninstalled the nvidia drivers (but this limiting my monitor to 800*600 was not ideal) I was assuming the cables were correct. (And "Assumption is the brother of all ****ups")

I then spent a further 4 hours playing with settings in the nvidia menus, getting nothing more than black and white.

Eventually I decided to go with the shorting pins 3 and 4 on the s-video socket on the graphics card. Using a very thin piece of wire bent into something like a staple, like Kenif's guide says, and presto colour!
              And sure, its a pain getting the wire in place, but well worth it.

I guess my cheap cable replacement was to blame (or nvidia for sending colour down the wrong svideo pins), but a bodge fix for free is much preferable to paying more for another cable that may so the same thing.

Thanks all

Comment

• familyguy69
                • Sep 2008

I fixed it!

I have found a way to get full beautiful colour and I'm using the latest drivers and didn't need to butcher any adapters with a soldering iron.

It is ridiculous that this is what you need to do but here it is:

connect s-video out on your pc to s-video cable..
                to s-video to composite adapter
                to composite to scart sdapter
                to the scart in on my digibox

mad eh? but it worked straight away and I've rebooted and it still works

Comment

• pax681
                  • Oct 2008

erm... guys... use the very latest drivers.
                  after you have got your tv up and running, it will ALWAYS be black adn white UNTIL you go to the "change the signal or hd format" section of teh TV setting.
                  the select your region.....
                  it really is as simple as that.
                  you can then play with the screen size etc.
                  no soldering... for farting about with cables...anything like that.
                  i have been using tv out to watch movies etc for YEARS and this is all it takes to sort your black and white woes... really....

Comment

• yodasarmpit
                    • Oct 2008

Originally Posted by vehemence
                    fixed it using a solution i found on a random forum somewhere (can't remember which one), which is to wrap a little wire around the top 2 connectors (with the plastic plug bit at the bottom) on the svhs cable, joining them together. apparently this is the difference between svhs and composite or something. pretty dodgy, but it works ok now so i'm gonna leave it alone. now i can play dawn of war on my tv! yay!
                    Just signed up to say thanks, the wire trick between pins 3 and 4 worked a treat.

Comment

• trancer123
                      • Oct 2008

hi ...pff same problem...i guess... so i turn on my pc...switch to dualview option/clone or whatever the image appears on the tv screen( in black and white and only the desktop wallpaper , no icons). ok..now after that if i try to make some settings the image on the tv gets scrambled and after that the image its black and it stays that way...and i have to restart the pc to get again the image on the tv, again, in black and white. i've tried to find the settings to switch the tv format...cant find them, and i cant get the option of autodetect off. i attached a screen shot with the panel

P.S. my video card is a nvidia geforce Bliss 9600 GT 512MB from gainward, and the drivers i'm using are the ones from the cd
                      Attached Files

Comment

• besi1982
                        • May 2009

i have the colours but i dont have video(movies streaming). the tv displays desktop very well. but when i want to se a movie or streaming(dvix streaming coze youtube and similar works) its only black it doesnt display nothing.
                        please any body can help me

Comment

• basurad00d
                          • Jun 2009

Originally Posted by besi1982
                          i have the colours but i dont have video(movies streaming). the tv displays desktop very well. but when i want to se a movie or streaming(dvix streaming coze youtube and similar works) its only black it doesnt display nothing.
                          please any body can help me
                          Yes, if the video appears fine on your monitor but is blank on the TV you just need to make the TV your primary display.

Anyway, I had this problem too with a GeForce 7300 SE / 7200 GS, images were Black and White and were able to solve it by a suggestion on this thread by four (and others?), but it's buried somewhere so I'll make a recap of the solution:

Get the Classic NVIDIA Control Panel. Unfortunately it had been discontinued on latest drivers, so you probably have to downgrade to old drives for this to work.

So, go to this page for these (remove spaces around dots):

www . nvidia . com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Type in your card details, OS, and Recommended/Certified (instead of All, that actually may crop the drivers you're interested in), and click Search.

I don't know at which point the fix stopped working, but I downgraded to 175.16 drivers and they work. Click them (or older ones for your card), tick the "agree to the terms and conditions" box and download.

Now, uninstall current drivers by right clicking on My PC > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Right click your display adapter > Uninstall. Restart your computer if it's not done automatically.

Now install the drivers you previously downloaded.

Go here (remove the spaces around dots):

www . laptopvideo2go . com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11627&st=0

Download enableold_CP.reg and run it. Click yes, ok and restart your computer once again.

Now, right-click on the desktop > Properties > Configuration > Advanced Options > Your card's name > Additional Properties > NVDisplay Settings > NVDisplay Mode: Clone.

If it's unavailable you have to do Tools > Troubleshooting > Force TV detection (activate box) and restart your computer again, then follow the previous steps.

Click Apply and now right click on the TV image (that says 1b) > Select TV format > Advanced > Video Output Format and change auto detect to S-Video-Out, click Ok, Ok, and the black and white should become colors now!

That's what worked for me, if it doesn't work try setting it to Composite Video out.

If you want to see movies on the TV tick the Make This The Primary Display box (as mentioned on the beginning of the post), thanks for all the help provided on this thread and good luck!

Comment

• salionmelisa
                            • Jul 2009

why you post 3 same reply ??

Comment

• langloy
                              • Jun 2010

Spending more than 10+ hours trying to solve this I ended up combining two solutions from this forum that finally did the trick:

Using a small piece of wire i carefully wrapped around scart pins 15 and 20 - seeing it as I had the wire but not the solder as suggested in camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/how_to.htm . So no need to pry open the scart cable, rather CAREFULLY get the two pins connected by wire without them touching anything else.

Thanks for all the help in here, and best of luck for those who still need help come post no104.

Comment

• luvblackwolf
                                • Jun 2010

Ok this is for anyone still having the problem.
                                1) go to nvidia control panel
                                2) Display
                                3) Adjust desktop color settings
                                4) select TV
                                5) go down to "Apply the following enhancements"
                                6) Digital vibrance: (If it is at 0 then this is the problem) just move the slider up to where you like it.

At least this is what my problem was and it is easyer than doing all the other stuff
                                Hope this helps you all!

Comment

Working...